Please Help a Newbie Hunter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

edisonf

Reaction score
Hello all:

I have just become interested in bottle digging within the last week and have a plethora of questions. I have looked at many forums, websites, etc. and have probably learned just enough to be dangerous.

I have most of the tools I need to get started (less a probe, the most important tool I've read). These include shovels, spades, trowels, pitchfork, buckets, wheelbarrow, etc. I also have an old Tesoro Cutlass II metal detector. If memory serves, it's around 10 years old. I've tested it recently, and it works fine. I even built a small rudimentary sieve on Saturday with scrap decking. The inside dimensions are 12" x 18". I used 1/2" hardware cloth as the screen. What other tools are you using?

My father-in-law farms and owns a bit of land. He has told me where old homes were on his property and has given me permission to dig after he harvests as most of these old sites are in fields. I know where two homes stood within 20' or 30'. I thought I'd attempt to locate the privies for these later this year. My best guess is that these homes where probably built between 1870 and 1890. Considering these sites have been under cultivation for many, many years, is my task considerably more difficult? I don't know for certain, but I would imagine clearing and preparing land for initial cultivation entails breaking the soil up down to 18" or 24". This should make the probing a lot easier down to this depth, at least.

Luckily, I have a book detailing a lot of my county's history. This book profiles many of the county's early citizens' lives and even goes so far, in some cases, to tell where their homes were located as most of these are not still standing. I also have some map copies showing some family homeplaces in my area, old rail lines, long since razed school buildings, etc. There were probably a dozen former communities scattered throughout the county that no longer exist as well as many country schoolhouses. There are also a good many abandoned homes that I feel would date post Civil War to late 1890s. Which of these would be best to explore first? How would you prioritize home sites, rail depot sites, rail lines, schools and communities?

There are a few churches that date to the late 1700s, although I'm not sure they had structures. I know that there are at least 3 church buildings that have stood since 1860 (one 1838). Would these privies yield finds worthy of the efforts to dig them? There are also some small cemetaries. I've read that many times dumps would be located close to cemetaries; I don't want to disturb some long-forgotten gravesite, so please advise.

Also, for those of you in Georgia, South Carolina and Louisiana, many county tax assessors list property information online: http://www.qpublic.net/. This can prove very helpful in finding ages of structures, owner contact information, etc. Just thought I'd list this as it may help some of you.

I also know of at least one Civil War period Union Army encampment within 15 miles of me. I'm sure this area has been scanned with metal detectors a million times so would it be worth a look?

Do most of you own probes of differing lengths? I think I'd be ahead of the game to enlist a 4' and 6' but I certainly will defer to others more experienced. I have also found a probe that has a threaded end so that tips can be replaced and shafts can be added to make probes even longer. Here are some links:

http://www.rjmcompany.com/sewer-rooter-equipment-accessories-Duracable.pdf (Please see page 3).

http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/s.nl?&search=smart%20stick

Would it be useful to have a probe that could get 10' or 12' down?

Can you suggest some useful online resources, suppliers of quality probes, good books, etc.?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry I'm so inquisitive, but I'm really excited about this new hobby (or potential obsession). Any comments and/or assistance you can provide are greatly appreciated. Good luck and happy hunting!

kanudigit?

Reaction score
I'd say the most important tool you will need is a strong back, other than that it sounds like you are all set! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Case

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Theres no magic formula in finding dumps, the biggest thing is the time involved. If you use all the tools and info you have listed above, you will eventually have success to some degree. Just don't get hung up on finding a jackpot, sometimes the more hung up you get on that, the less luck you will have. Persistence is everything, and you have to be having fun while you're persisting, or it won't make sense to do. Good luck and have fun

dirtmover

Reaction score
It seems you've done your research . You definately need a strong back!!! And a little luck and don't forget the bottle brushes to clean all your keepers- that's the fun part[:D]. Good luck we're looking forward to pictures from you.

Karen

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583