Second holy grail acquired!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
So a few days ago, I won my second holy grail bottle on eBay, for the rather high price (by local bottle standards) of around $50. Two grails down, one to go!

Until the South River show in February, I hadn't the slightest idea that there existed a blob from Glen Ridge. One rather dopey dealer planted a dream in my skull, though. He said he had one at his house, but didn't bring it for whatever reason. He said he'd bring it to the Brick show in the beginning of May... By some miracle I was able to find him, and he didn't have the bottle... [:(] I gave him my email address, and he hasn't contacted me since. Like I said, dopey... I made it clear I would have paid a lot of money for the bottle. So anyway, last week this bottle popped up on eBay. I won it for a high price, but I still think I got a bargain in the long run, as this bottle is very rare. It's in better condition than I had dared to hope after seeing the auction pictures. I'm almost disappointed, in a sense, because I was hoping to dig an example in better condition to replace this one, but I guess that's not going to happen! Anyway, yesterday, I got this email:

"Hello, My name is Brian Bossert. I was the other bidder on the Bossert & Rose bottle. I originally wanted the bottle for the name, obviously, but after losing the bid, I did some research on my family and found that my great, great grandfather had started the M. Rose Public house in Glen Ridge; his name being Frank Bossert. I even have old pictures from the 1890's of the place. Knowing this now I would have bid much higher to win the bottle, as it is part of my family history. Not sure if you would be willing to sell it, but I am offering you $100.00 for the bottle. I understand if you want to keep it, but if you are interested at all at making a profit on it, please write back and let me know. Thanks very much for your time, and I hope you have a nice weekend.
Sincerely, Brian Bossert"

Now, obviously, I am not going to sell this bottle... But I emailed the guy back, and told him if I ever find another one, he can have it. I also told him what I know about Frank Bossert:

"In the old Montclair directories, starting in 1890 and until 1900, Frank Bossert is listed as a beer bottler, at the address 173 Bloomfield Ave. I suspect around this time, he set up the bar in Glen Ridge. "

So, how cool is that? I'm in contact with the guy whose ancestor ran the company that used my holy grail bottle! [:)] Obviously it would be very cool to see pictures of the "M. Rose" bar, so I will update when I get those. Without further ado, here's the bottle:

6BA7A314BC2B48F090721A589E93BF86.jpg

Attachments

• 6BA7A314BC2B48F090721A589E93BF86.jpg
    6BA7A314BC2B48F090721A589E93BF86.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 78

Jim

Reaction score
Great bottle and great story. A very rare local blob for 50 bucks- I envy you, my man. The ones of that caliber around here can approach four digits.

I got a message earlier this year from a lady in Hawaii who was the great-granddaughter of an early mustard maker in Philadelphia. I had one of the few known examples of one of his jars, a pontiled mustard barrel. As I had dug the jar, I had no cash invested in it, plus it wasn't local to me. The lady wanted to buy it from me, but I didn't want to sell it. If I just wanted to make a few bucks, it would have been out the door long before then. Instead, I sent it to her as a gift for her and her family to enjoy. Sometimes, it's just cool to be able to make someone you've never met very happy. If it were a local bottle, I couldn't have done it without having a duplicate.

It's good to see you got another prized local bottle. I know how excruciating it can be to wait for them to come up, so it's always sweet when they finally do. Knowing that they exist and knowing that you don't have one can drive you nuts! ~Jim

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Nice pick up Conner and good luck in your next endeavor.Thanks for the history lesson also.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Connor,

Way to Grail, man! Second Grail in two weeks. Now you gotta dig one for the Bossert guy. I think you gotta 'splain on him that Grails don't just come along every day, and they don't go for no Benjamin. No, no,..

demotivational-posters-priceless.jpg

Penn Digger

Reaction score
IMHO you should at least send him some GOOD clear pics with no BS in the background. What would that cost you? Most of us are in this for the history and you gotta help the man out given the story? Just my thoughts.

PD

epackage

Reaction score
Well Connor you know how I feel about locals so Congrats....Here's hoping you dig one to send to Mr. Bosserts relative because I know I would be hounding you everyday if it was from a relative of mine....at this rate you're not gonna have anything to collect[8D].....Keep em' comin'

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen