Seeds frmom privy digs......

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

akronmarbles

Reaction score
Here's a strange question - has anyone ever tried to plant the seeds you commonly find in an old privy? It is possible for seeds to survive very long periods of dormancy. It would make for interesting conversation when eating a slice of pie made from such berries.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Out of all the seeds we have dug from privies, none have germinated. I'm not sayin' it can't happen, but not fror me.

Lilacpa

Reaction score
some seeds if they have a thick outer shell you need to take a fingernail file and file some of the seed, so it can sprout.then soak in water for so long.
i have had to do that with a few seeds I ordered of CA, it was in the directions.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Seeds CAN stay viable for a LONG time given perfect conditions. But the odds of your privy seeds germinating is very low. If you search the journal of science there is study that has been going on for 120 years to see how long seeds can stay viable.

from
http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL8/dec97-14.html

Remember that seeds are living organisms and that they live on the food stored within themselves. They use oxygen to slowly 'burn' this food and the more food, the longer the viability. While small seeds metabolise more slowly than large seed as a general rule, large seeds retain viability longer. The longest recorded viability for a seed under natural conditions is that of Lotus. This is a large seed and seed 200 years old has been germinated. There are records of seed much older than this germinating. Lupin seeds trapped in permafrost have germinated after a thousand years but, in this case, the low temperatures had slowed down metabolism to a mere tick.

swizzle

Reaction score
I've heard of people planting seeds from privy's and getting monster tomato plants from them. The way to seperate them is to put that black seedy use layer in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Break up the soil good and all the seeds that float are no good. If they stay submerged then there's a good chance that they will grow. I imagine that the conditions have to be perfect and that not all privy's will produce good seeds. Swizzle

caldigs

Reaction score
any more input on this matter ? I'd love to get some privy seeds to germinate. Anyone on this board have success doing it ?

lexdigger

Reaction score
One of my privy digging partners grew some tomato plants from use layer seeds. You have to "Start" the seeds first and then transplant them once the sprout becomes a plant. He got some nice tomatoes off of that plant!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lexdigger

One of my privy digging partners grew some tomato plants from use layer seeds. You have to "Start" the seeds first and then transplant them once the sprout becomes a plant. He got some nice tomatoes off of that plant!

I remember back in the day germinating the funny seeds in wet paper. Remember that Lex [8D] I grew some big BOYZ and im not talkin tomatoes [:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles