Seller BS on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
This is what Wikipedia has to say about the Babe's parents....

"Kate Schamberger-Ruth and George Herman Ruth, Sr., eventually owned saloons on Lombard and Camden Street in Baltimore".

brokenshovel

Reaction score
George Ruth vs. the bottle that says George Ruths.
Jealous? No. If your interested I have one I could sell you also.
There's one born every minute. I do agree the buyer should always do more research, But so should the seller before he makes a claim when selling an item.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Here's the George Ruths from the bottle. Notice the s on Ruths, not Ruth
Baltimore census 1900
George Ruths 1050 North Broadway born 22 Feb 1937 married 35 years born in Germany, immigrated 1858 occupation beer bottler boss
also lists wife Margaret and kids.
1899 Baltimore City Directory links this George Ruths to the Staten Island Bottling Works and it is the same address for the family in 1900
1880 was a customs officer
1870 cigar maker
no kids that could have been Babe.
Hope the guy that won the bottle one day figures out what he's got.
Now Babe and his mother/father are in the 1900 Balto census. Dad is listed as a lightening rod agent. Not sure when he "was running the tavern" but he also signed over Jr. custody to the Priest by 1902.

appliedlips

Reaction score
How much do you want for yours Brokenshovel?I might throw it up on ebay after I copy and paste the last sellers description.[:D] My point is "who cares?" what some fool decides to spend their money on. I have never bought an item based on what a seller says about its rarity,orgin,etc. and don't intend to_Other than condition I will decide what an item is worth to me.People don't need defended from sellers like that,they just need some good common sense.

poisons4me

Reaction score
I agree with both sides, the man is misrepresenting the item.......but if a fool doesn't even take note to the S after Ruth !!! His name was not Babe Ruths..Duh.I have that bottle in with my other 275 blobs im getting cleaned for my website and I wouldn't sell because i collect blobs. If i did sell it I would not lie to get more money. I always track the feedback on these deals, the green troy ny blob that sold on there for 498.00 and is worth 150.00 range at best....no feedback ever exchanges from either party????hmmmm.Every since they started hiding bidders user names bogus bidding is rampent. Just my opinion.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Did anyone consider the people bidding to be Babe or baseball collectors? People are different about their money. They must not have been on good terms with theirs.[>:]

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Matt,
That brings up an interesting question. In your Medicine Price Guide, do you put in the actual price that a bottle sold for, which can be misleading, or an average of what you think it should sell for? Can be confusing at best.

ORIGINAL: deer4x4

it and all bottles are worth what someone will pay for them. some bottles have been seen selling for thousands and then you see them drop to the hundereds and lower so it is what ever the person is willing to pay and in his own mind what it is worth my 2 cents
bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter