Seller BS on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
Price "guides" are meant to "help" in determining the value of bottles. When listing prices it is best to look at several different sales and put in the high and low values, ie. 15 - 25 dollars. I "believe that is what many of the price guide authors do. Pretty much though, they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I like the guides that show rarity, ie. Ed Millers book on California Pharmacies. Markotas soda price guides are even better, showing the rarity, high and low values, each variant, and a history on the bottle. Kovels are the worst.

ORIGINAL: Staunton Dan

Matt,
That brings up an interesting question. In your Medicine Price Guide, do you put in the actual price that a bottle sold for, which can be misleading, or an average of what you think it should sell for? Can be confusing at best.

ORIGINAL: deer4x4

it and all bottles are worth what someone will pay for them. some bottles have been seen selling for thousands and then you see them drop to the hundereds and lower so it is what ever the person is willing to pay and in his own mind what it is worth my 2 cents
bob

Wilkie

Reaction score
What gets me about the one that sold for 899 is the wording in the sellers auction. He actually said that "the history of the bottle is for you to find out". Sounds to me like the seller knew it wasn't a Babe Ruth collectable. I'm inclined to do some census research and see who George "Ruths" really is and if there was a Ruth and a Ruths with the first name George.

ORIGINAL: brokenshovel

George Ruth vs. the bottle that says George Ruths.
Jealous? No. If your interested I have one I could sell you also.
There's one born every minute. I do agree the buyer should always do more research, But so should the seller before he makes a claim when selling an item.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Matt,
That brings up an interesting question. In your Medicine Price Guide, do you put in the actual price that a bottle sold for, which can be misleading, or an average of what you think it should sell for? Can be confusing at best.

Determining value is difficult at best. I post actual sales prices. I average values from as many sales as possible and I weight new prices based on the market trend (for instance values on non-top end bottles are down now). If I dont have actual sales data I include an estimated value and mark it as such (That's the only time what I think is a factor). Keep in mind any price guide is just that... a guide. As a collector you have to trust your own experience and intuition in addition to what other people say.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter