semi-cabin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ron ,
GIPPS LAND / HOP BITTERS / CO.
T.T. & CO. 1884
Is an Australian Semi cabin Bitters and is consider Very scarce to Rare here in the states.
You see a lot more of the large size ( 2 variants , large and small )Aqua New York Hop Bitters ( also Australian) Semi cabins then you do the Gipps .
Gippsland is in Victoria , Australia
I have heard rumors of colored examples exsisting .... I personally have only seen Aqua in the Gipps. But I have seen colored examples in the New York Hop ( Green , Black ) . So , I'd say there could quite possibly be colored examples out there in the Gipps also. Maybe some of our Ozzy friends can help .
Brian

bearswede

Reaction score
Thanks Brian...

The provenience and value seem to jump all over the place on this one... There's one up for auction now with a claim of being American...

It's ironic that the American flag embossed New York Hop Bitters is a well-known Australian semi-cabin...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
Ricardo...

Let me jump on that!

It appears that, altho (as Brian has rightly already pointed out [see above]) the name of the township or province is one word, all references found in bottle pricing books perused so far have it as two words, leading us to the conclusion that, possibly, the embossing on the bottle itself reads: Gipp's Land...

How'd I do, pahtna'?

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Well said Ron ! ;o)
Yes Ron ..... There are several Australian Bitters that have American reference it seems . NEW YORK HOP , ST. LOUIS HOP , PHILADELPHIA HOP , FRISCO HOP ,and several other Semi cabin Bitters .
I didn't even know the St.Louis Hop Bitters existed until seeing an example at the Louisville , KY. National Show. A Ozzy Collector/Dealer had one on his table with a hefty price tag of $1650.00 . I think it is unlisted even in Ring & Ham's.
Brian

P.S. There is a space between the GIPPS and the LAND on the bottle .... So , I'd say thats why the references list it as such.

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
I am certain coloured ones do exist here in Oz. Very very scarce. Aqua Gippsland bitters, not really considered rare but they are not exactly easy to come by in good condition. I am not really into these bottles so don't know a great deal about them. Seen about half a dozen on eBay over the past 4 years so they don't come up for sale that often.
I should do a little research on them as I have an aqua one that I have never been really interested in. Often thought about selling it but have never got around to it.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Alan ,
They usually bring in the 100.00+ range on ebay , all the ones I've seen sell anyway. You don't see them very often here in States . More New Yorks around it seems here anyway.
You don't have a Green New York Hops Bitters laying around you want to part with do you ? Or maybe an Amber Boston Hops Bitters ??? I'd love to have one !!!!
Brian

kumtow

Reaction score
Brian, Sorry mate, all out of green New York Hop Bitters and Boston Hop bitters.

Bearswede, shipping to the States is not cheap, around $US20 I would guess for a bottle this size and weight. I'll send you a picture and you can make me an offer.

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day

The Gippsland Hop Bitters was produced by Thomas Trood, Melbourne mainly found in aqua glass but there are some (maybe 5-10??) amber varieties - very rare. I recall there was one listed in a Lancaster Auction last year but can't find details on the winning bid (estimate $1000+).

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS