Should I buy it???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I found a "1qt" purple crown bottle/decanter. Its a 3 piece mold and the bottom seam goes around the edge of the base. There is no embossing on the bottom and it comes with a glass stopper. I don't think it's the original stopper, its clear and the bottle is a light purple, not quite an amethest. I'm guessing 9 to 12 inches tall. It almost looks like cut glass but its not. It's $10. Jason

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Jason, before I buy a bottle I ask myself two questions. Do I want the bottle for myself because I like it or am I just trying to be greedy and make a buck. This is how I determine whether or not the price is worth it....if that makes any sense. But anyway I'd say if you like it BUY IT!

swizzle

Reaction score
I do like the bottle and would like it for my collection. However I don't collect this type of bottle and would probably resell it. I was wondering if I did buy it would I be able to sell it for the same price or more. I've looked for "crown bottles" but I can find nothing that closely resembles this bottle anywhere. Other then a fancy looking crown appearance the only other identifing mark is the "1qt" embossed on it. Jason

swizzle

Reaction score
It's definately not a jar. I'd have to call it a fancy bottle or a decanter. I'm thinking I should try to get a picture of it and post it. I've been looking none stop for over an hour and I still don't see anything even close to it. Is there anyone out there that has pics of various different crown bottle/decanters, and what is the difference between a fancy bottle and a decanter? Thanx for the reply's guys. Jason

GuntherHess

Reaction score
It sounds strangly like a siphon seltzer bottle without its siphon mechanism.
Is it very heavy glass?

Does it look similar to ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-TALL-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-1935-SELTZER-SYPHON-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ6243384671QQcategoryZ13915QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FAUERBACH-BREWING-CO-SELTZER-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ6244682675QQcategoryZ563QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx for the links, but still no go. It looks more like an actual crown. Its a figural bottle/decanter. Thanx again, Jason

swizzle

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the bottle/decanter. The seams go half way up the neck and then twist and end just below the lip. Jason

Fd92212.jpg

Attachments

• Fd92212.jpg
    Fd92212.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54

capsoda

Reaction score
That is a whiskey decanter and yes $10 is an excellent price. Some glass companys would blow decanters and blow their own tops and some would order crystal tops to make their decanters seem a little more special. That could very well be the proper top for your Late 1800s decanter.

Nice buy.[:)]

swizzle

Reaction score
thanx capsoda. I just wish I knew what company and a little more history on it. This ones been bugging me for a while. I don't own it yet but I took my pocket change and put it on layaway. one more $5 bill and she's mine. How do I find out more about this one? Jason

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1