Sick of ebay?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
If you are a seller and tired of Ebay raising rates or something looking to add new bottles to your collection try www.bid-it.com.Go to collectibles and then bottles.Myself along with other diggers and collector's from another site have began to list some bottles and other artifacts here.Please check it out as we need support to make it work.They are giving new sellers $25.00 credit for new registration.Their listed costs are a fraction of ebay or other comparible sites.We are trying hard to get the word out in the bottle community as we don't need the whole general public to come to this site,just us bottle guys.Thanks,Doug

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
This link should go right to the bottle page... Taz http://www.bid-it.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?category=collectibles17&listtype=current

appliedlips

Reaction score
Ebay charges various fees on how you list your auctions.The intitial listing fee and almost all extra serviouses were raised 50% or more as of the new year.Final value fees the largest chunk you pay to sell were raised as follows.On items that sell between $.01-$25.00 you were charged 5%,now it is 8%,on items between $25.00-$1000 you had paid 8% on the initial $25.00 and 2.75% on the remainder,now it is 8% on the initial $25 and 5% on the remainder.Just using quick math in my head that is about a 60-75% rate hike.They do this year after year.The best part was 3 days after every seller received this message,I read in the paper that their earnings had far exceeded expectations.Don't remember their profit amount but do know it was in the hundreds of millions.Would anybody here go back to where they get there oil changed if their mechanic told them the price went from $30.00 to $50.00 and he was driving a new mercedes?They have a monopoly on online auctions and know it.Some people have no choice as they are financially dependent on income from Ebay.I for one am not.

bearswede

Reaction score
Soooo...

If (and it's a big IF) I've done my math correctly, one were to sell a bottle on ebay for $100, they would charge the seller $5.75 + posting fees (a couple of bucks?)...

On the other hand, most of the major "upscale" on-line auctions charge the buyer a 10-12% premium, as well as a fee to the seller (not always- check out BAM auctions)...

I guess if ebay keeps this up, we'll see more "reserve" selling, so that the seller can protect his/her investment...

Ron

wootten

Reaction score
so does this bid-it site have everything? or is it limited to bottles and such-wendy

appliedlips

Reaction score
Bearswede,

Reserve prices went up also,when selling with a reserve this adds a good amount to the fee.The difference between Ebay and "upscale"online auctions is like night and day.When listing on ebay it requires no work on their part,you take the pictures and list,essentially you are only renting storage space.The larger auctions BAM,Glassworks,Norman Heckler,etc. have an expert staff that takes the photos,lists the items,and this goes a long way in peace of mind to the buyer.Most of the time they are selling collections of one or a few people.This is a one time expense to them and if I were selling off $50,000 worth of bottles I would use one of these sites.I always liked using ebay,but pay more than double what I did when I started.The whole time they continue to make more and more money.The whole thing is supply and demand,and they have the whole market and know it.I am not condemning anyone for using Ebay,just trying to give another site a chance.Thanks for the reply

lacolobiger

Reaction score
another site you could try is www.iOffer.com They only charge you a flat fee if your item sells. and you can leave it on the site indefently. Give it a try. there just starting out but growing fast

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bearswede - By my reconin' A $100 bottle selling on e-bay will now cost you $11.75 in commissions before you add in the listing fees. Depending how much you want to 'juice up' the appearence of you auction, you could end up paying 13 - 15% to e(xpensive) Bay[:-]

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
EBAY is getting on my nerves...but i have had major problems with a person detering people away from my coin auctions,Ebay handled the problem asap!....

But the fees are getting ridiculas!......somtimes its not worth selling a item due to it being worht "the listing fee's"////....

We should have a auction on this forum!,for glass items and crocks,pottery!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1