Six To Gallon bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NewbieBottleHunter

Reaction score
Here is another interesting (to me at least) clear glass bottle with distinct evidence of being made in a 3-piece mold. It has a slightly crude applied finish that is fairly shapeless compared to my other bottles - rather like a flat band of glass. The neck is bowed-out in what I see online is called a "lady's leg" style. There are lots of large bubbles in this bottle including several along the rim of the base. The only interesting embossing on this bottle is found on its base where it has "SIX TO GALLON" encircled around its "kicked-up" base.

Based on this scant amount of embossed text and the image below is there any way of knowing what this bottle may have held? Or was this 1/6 gallon bottle generically produced to hold a wide range of liquid refreshments?

Thanks for any information on this odd little bottle.

DA8D4A3EBABF4BB296A541A5EA073345.jpg

Attachments

• DA8D4A3EBABF4BB296A541A5EA073345.jpg
    DA8D4A3EBABF4BB296A541A5EA073345.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 247

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think you've got a prohibition-era British whiskey bottle there.. dug many of them in 1920's context.. could be older, too..

NewbieBottleHunter

Reaction score
Funny as I just watched the PBS series on Prohibitition last week. A silly idea that didn't take into account human nature.

Were they still making bottles in 3-piece molds with applied lips as late as the 1920s? It's definitely got a different sort of shape (more pronounced shoulder and the pleasingly curved neck) than the wine bottles I've found so I'd definitely believe this once held something of a higher proof.

Thanks for the info.

Asterx

Reaction score
It seems the cut-off for dating blown bottles in the UK is fairly later than here in the states for some reason

TROG

Reaction score
This bottle dates around 1880 -1890 and would most likely have held Whisky.

luckiest

Reaction score
I feel like that bottle is a bit earlier then the 20s but it's true that the british used earlier styles for a while longer then the americans.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Ken,

Welcome to the A-BN and thanks for showing the six to gallon. I'm with David on the 1880ishness.

I'm puzzling on the measure of these. How much liquid does it hold, if filled an inch shy of cork? I'm also wondering Imperial units or what? Does it have bearing on the distilled spirits tax in Britain?

To the old line bottle guys, this would be termed a bulge necked example, rather than a "lady's leg." May I suggest a visit to the BLM / SHA site for Bottles.

ladysleg_small.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I think Surf is right, an Imperial Gallon is a little over 1.2 gallons, 6 of these may have equaled that liquid measurement...

Rutherford & Kay in Edinburgh also used a bottle with this embossing on the base, they bottled and sold Wine, Whiskey & Brandy in the 1880's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-RUTHERFORD-KAY-EDINBURGH-3-PC-MOLD-CRUDE-APPLIED-LIP-MINERAL-WATER-/200821580045

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I spent several days last winter wandering around scavenging tossers at a huge 1920's dump which is heavily dug, and on each visit, without even digging, I could find several applied lip British and European liquor bottles, and yes I grabbed a few "Six to gallon's" ..perhaps they were made in the 1910's and it took over a decade for them to end up in the trash, perhaps even longer in some cases.. and that's what is cool about them, they look frickin' old, man! [8D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960