small glass rod inside?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Larisa W.

Reaction score
Hmmm....

We broke ground on a new garage, and the construction crew found a bottle about a foot below the ground.

Measures 2 1/4", the seam stops below the lip, appears to be an applied lip. there is a small glass rod inside, unfortunately the rod is not complete....I assume it was attatched to the lid....

perfume? iodine?

any thoughts?

Thanks,
Larisa W.

Jh17081.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Larisa,

I think the bottle is too plain to be perfume. Iodine (or close facsimile there of) would be a good guess. Maybe someone will know for sure. I know one thing.... I would halt construction on my garage for a few days! Or at least help the construction workers dig the dirt for the concrete pad![:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Larisa W.

Reaction score
Hi KAT!

did they have compound W that long ago??

there is a diamond on the bottom with the letter D inside, I assume diamond bottle co., but what year?

Larisa W.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Larisa, my reference shows a D inside a diamond to be "Dominion Glass Company" Montreal, Quebec, and other locations. (1913- ??) Hope this helps, Kelley

Bluebelle

Reaction score
There was another topical antiseptic called Mercurochrome, that came in a little bottle with a rod, it went all the way back to the 1920's - stinging orange stuff that Moms put on skinned knees etc - ouch! It was taken off the market sometime maybe 10-15 years ago, or whenever it was decided that anything with mercury in it was toxic, even though no bad effects had ever been reported about it specifically.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I remember that medicine well Bluebelle![:'(] I used to cringe every time my mom would tell me to go get that bottle. It stained your skin really bad too, as I recall.
Happy Diggin, Kelley

flasherr

Reaction score
Would that glass rod been placed in cork or rubber I don't see any threads for a screw cap?
Brian

Larisa W.

Reaction score
Good point Brian!!

there are no threads for a screw top.... cork maybe?

The top end of the rod is definately broken off, it is not a rounded or smooth edge like the bottom...

Hmmm...[8|]

Larisa W.

old digger

Reaction score
Some of the little glass rods had glass-tops, others rubber, maybe you need to dig around a little more, we've dug a few holes in our yard,yeh,I'm the one who said a little craziness might be involved in bottle digging, but I love it!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris