Smooth lip midget

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Sorry had to do it lol

Smooth lip Midget.[:D]

82A3B3F3982B48DEA89B51BD01610967.jpg

Attachments

• 82A3B3F3982B48DEA89B51BD01610967.jpg
    82A3B3F3982B48DEA89B51BD01610967.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 71

MNJars

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: georgeoj

I am certain that the jars are quite scarce. Both the Red Book and the SFJR have this jar listed in the wrong place with very little/no information. SFJR says that the jar was reported by Vivian Kath. The only other information that it has is that the jar is a light green, smooth lip, heavy, machine made, midget pint with an unknown maker. The fact that both reference books seem to have a listing that is based on someone saying that there is a jar, and little else, would tend to indicate that there are very few to be found. The only other thing that I have learned is from your posting. The markings on the bottom are mold numbers and I will quit looking for a maker based on them. My curiosity is up even more now with the different base lettering on your jar. The last letter seems to be the variable. I wonder if they started with A and went thru the alphabet. If so, that could indicate that there are more to find. I intend to keep digging for information but do not expect to find much. George

I got my jar when I purchased a collection that included a handful of older midget pints. I always wondered if it was a reproduction, but now that I see another example with a differing mold number and hear accounts of it referenced in books, it can't be. To be thorough I'll add a little more description:
The jar is definately heavier than typical midget pints with thicker glass.
The aqua color is very slightly on the green side of aqua, but for sure aqua.
The glass is distorted, sort of wavy, with a few bubbles.
The glass feels more smooth when compared to older jars - I'm not sure why. Maybe it was cleaned by a previous owner?
A typical old midget pint lid fits and tightens just fine.
I have never seen or heard of another one besides in this thread. Any other midget pint collectors out there that have seen any?

jimsears

Reaction score
I have owned examples of this jar with mold numbers B6R and B9M and also one with an unmarked base. The B9L is a new one too me, but I doubt there were too many more molds because the jars really do seem quite scarce. I know one was dug in Alexandria, VA, but I have never found any information about who made them. I will see if I can get Doug Leybourne to change the misleading BCR listing in the next Red Book.

Jim Sears

georgeoj

Reaction score
I LOOKED for information on these jars and could find very little.

Today, I decided to take some time to just sit down and read the copy of "The Standard Fruit Jar Reference 2011" that I bought last summer. ..In Chapter II on page 9, Dick Roller gives some history on the earliest jar machines that were used by many different glass houses. These machines created a jar in a two step process that involved creating the threads, mouth and smooth lip by pressing the glass into a shaping mold. The jar body then was blown by compressed air in a finish mold. The amount of glass used was not yet machine measured and had to be judged by eye as with a fully hand made jar. This would answer the question about the heavy weight of these jars.

George

ajohn

Reaction score
Hey George!
Interesting post. I'm nobody when it comes to research, I suffer from CRS.
However, when I look at your jar, and the lip,color, my gut says Aussie.

georgeoj

Reaction score
Hi Anthony, Welcome back!
As far as I know, there have not been any reported in Australia. The one that I have was dug in Pittsburgh. The lip is quite different but that is due to the two step process in which the top is formed by pressing.
George

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR