snuff jar. old or repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ellisnowens

Reaction score
Front view.jar 5 " tall

Attachments

• CD4DF558FCDE4F8AB4F2129CBB589C51.jpg
    CD4DF558FCDE4F8AB4F2129CBB589C51.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 83

botlguy

Reaction score
Old, I'm guessing 1870 +/- without seeing the bottom, and authentic. To my knowledge these have never been reproduced but at the going rate they will be soon. They are reproducing EVERYTHING now, threatening to RUIN our hobby. Lets see the base to date it properly.

I jumped in before you posted the pictures of the base. Definitely NOT pontiled, so date it to 1860 - 1870. Nice piece, not worth more than $50 but still nice.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Tony, I think it was a special empontilling tool because I have seen one before on a snuff bottle. I saved the picture and will let you know if I get some feed back. I have seen some strange ones from other parts of the world. If your selling the bottle, please let me know.
RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
Well, once again I got my mouth in gear before the brain was in gear. [:mad:] After looking at the base picture again I'm thinking there MIGHT be a pontil scar there but I don't think it's that slot indentation. I don't know what that is. But look at that circular roughness about in the middle. That looks like a faint rough pontil or perhaps the remnant of an improved / iron pontil or even a sticky ball pontil.

I'll just wait for someone who knows what they are talking about.[:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau