So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron I see that silver find, its awesome. Plus when silver was up in the 40 range it would roughly be worth 2,950.00 not including the non silver coins. Surely there had to be a few collectible coins worth more than melt in there too.

I am going back out when it warms up a bit and see if I can locate some more odds and ends. Maybe you will find that pot of gold in the park today.

ironmountain

Reaction score
yah..when the rain stops I'll be there all day.....When I saw river's pic of the park it reminded me of the park that most people go swimming/camping at here. I've never seen anyone detect it. I just always forget about it. MIght have to get the wife to chauffer me over there..

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, Iam glad to see that your minor set back hasnt slowed your desire to get out and detect!! Right now Iam trying to figure out where to go this morning. I have to run to the bank and get a haircut, then figure where to go. I know of a beach I could try for awhile.

The schools are out for now because they are in session (do those on weekends). The state game parking lots I want to do with my friend, as we can clear them rather quick now that hes up to speed on the machines. Probably Thursday for that. The fairgrounds we will probably work some more AFTER they cut the grass again. Then I am taking the MXT-P there I know theres silver there.

I rolled all my change that I could and have 37.50 to cash in. Plus a batch left that wouldnt fill a roll.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Also, I found a tool which seems to cut through gravel rather quickly. Still takes a bit of work but faster than a trowel etc. Its a 5 in one painters tool. Its steel and has a plastic/wood/ or other type handle. It has one side with a point to it. Ive found either side will chew through the gravel.

Another feature is that it can be pushed into the ground easily to cut a "flap" because the front edge is made for scraping, and also to be inserted under the flap to roll it back. Just an idea, maybe helpful to others.

Iron not sure which Ames tool you were referring to but I wound up buy two different tools at the Depot. Grass is drying out so iam going to hit the fairgrounds first.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Never tried the painter's tool. I have 3 or 4 of them around. All sharpened because of the exterior paint redo. I should try one on gravel surfaces.
Normally the Ames works decently enough.

No idea how much clad I have. I have a 1/2 gallon Ball jar 3/4 full with just clad. Going to wait til the end of the year then cash it all in. I'm thinking more about the painter's tool because it is light, sharp, can cut different angles and very thin flaps...it's sunny out now...after I get son to orthodontist appt. I'm going to have to give it a whirl.

The Ames tool is called the planter's buddy or something like that. At our HD they had them in their box sitting near the shovels/mauls etc...I think I found mine on sale for 7.95 or so, but they sell them normally for 10-14 bucks. Next to a Lesche, it's the best thing.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron, I think thats what I got (one of the Ames tools) it has teeth on one side, and it has 2 teeth at the front instead of being a one pc point. It worked good. I used that and the painters tool.

I decided to use ONLY the MXT-P today. Wanted to get used to it. I think Ive got it down good now. Pulled 37 coins (2qtr,3dimes,1nickel,31pennies). The Nickel was the first coin I found. I just got back and got them cleaned up. I obviously wasnt paying attention today. While washing them, one of the dimes looked different.......Sure enough 1942-D Mercury dime. I didnt even know I had dug that one up. The others are just spending cash and into the bin they go.

Looks like I just beat the rain, as it just started. Had a good time today but the old back is sore for some reason. Hope everyone finds something!!

riverdiver

Reaction score
Here is a shot of my favorite kind of coin find, right on the surface, no digging needed!

1967 Lincoln Cent, I love going to a popular site after a heavy rain just to see what was uncovered...

4A998F1E14A747C1AA7BF0185BDCA332.jpg

Attachments

• 4A998F1E14A747C1AA7BF0185BDCA332.jpg
    4A998F1E14A747C1AA7BF0185BDCA332.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 86

MIdigger

Reaction score
RD thats the lazy mans metal detecting! It is amazing how many coins are laying on the surface. I somehow had the threshold up on the detector yesterday and hit a coin on the surface and the tone about blew my eardrums. I have to watch that feature.

It rained here yesterday so maybe some we washed up. Going to try some beach areas with the brother in law today (newbie).

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went with the Brother in law to a baseball complex I hadnt been to before. We did very good. I set a one day record in just 3 hrs I pulled 77 coins (13-Qtr, 8-Dime, 10-nickel, and 46 pennies). The B-I-L pulled 11 pcs (4-Qtr, 2-Dimes, and 5-pennies). We still have about 1/2 of the place to cover yet, we had to give up due to the rain.

No good finds today all spendable, thrown into the box. May go back out later today if the weather turns better. Someone find some silver or gold today!!

ironmountain

Reaction score
MI, sounds like you're getting pretty familiar with that detector now! While at inlaws I only had a few hrs to detect (spent most of my time digging one of the privy holes out...well...a 2holer.. I found a ton of nails, another license plate, a solid brass belt buckle...like the military/boy scouts style and a Bull pendant, all corroded. Found this in an old field that nobody has been near in ages...have it soaking right now in dawn. Scrub it every so often with a toothbrush....
Heading out in a cpl mins to go detecting until kids get home..hopefully I can find some goodness!!! Nice job on the finds so far with the MXT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause