So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Think today will be a stay in and clean day. Rain, 40s and 20-30 mph winds. Doesnt sound like a good day for detecting.

That house sounds very interesting Iron, The history surely makes one wonder about some great finds there. The only thing I have of Ford is a spoon with their logo on it.Yesterday at the park Ive found some stone stairways that go down to the river in 3 places so far. It mustve been quite a task to do. Along with the rocks lining the rivers edge.

I dont know if some rich folks owned this area before it became parklands or not. Going to research that today. The stairs look like their from a cemetery. I did find a small area someone has made into a memorial with flowers, and ceramic animals etc. I detected the edges of the stairs down but nothing there. There is a path at the bottoms and maybe some stones lining the path but they are covered up with sod now. May check those later.

ironmountain

Reaction score
those stairs sound awesome! i love old history stuff like that. never know what you will find. Ford's "clubhouse" is kitty-corner from my house. This was where he stayed when he was here. Here's a little .pdf on it...

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:UKIa40WX-oYJ:www.campingwithhenryford.com/mafcaTheFordClubHouse.pdf+Henry+Ford%27s+house+Kingsford&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESilErd_7-q3P0ehv1ytXVvDrzUCmzKyuNYyTJpYPvbiFJgMmZD20sghcQHA1Jgc7U48-Bp8uKso8_-XuQknBrRg3JMLKxLuyFGb3Qj6W-FsXqduEu7_4k6eeNWzdJlK5Z9l36yY&sig=AHIEtbR-Vz35lKmQRJhYOURC3aClfodJ_A

Not sure if I've said this or not, but my house was like the 19th house built in the first "Ford Addition". The little hunk of metal with the lot numbers in grease pencil is still in the driveway (they actually poured around it)He built 160ish homes for his workers. Most of them nice little four squares. Not a ton of space though. Ours is just under 2k sq feet. Manager with benefits house!!!!!

Our house was one of his foreman or manager's house. He had it brought down here for him. It was brought down by rail from Alberta (just before Baraga/L'Anse..the place with Ford laid out in rocks next to the river). Imbedded pic is our house. 2 story, 4 bedroom. All the original wood trim, french glass doors, clawfoot tub. And a full attic that used to be someone's bedroom.

There is a park behind my house on a small man made lake. (well...a small totlot and a ton of open space, probably 5acres). The lake was made in the 1800's during the mining days.

I was at the library doing research and a woman told me that back in the day, the lake was "the" spot to be. 400-500 people a day were there in the summers.

I looked on Google Maps and saw a light rectangular spot on one of the flat areas of the grass, saw a light colored stripe going down to the water. Daughter and I checked it out, dug a bit just to see what we'd hit and we hit wooden half-log steps. MD'd on the side and first target was an 1877 CC..That's why I love researching places to dig and MD. My firm belief that talking to the "old timers" is usually the best way to get history/info.

004A1C3A75B84EB28B2F351AD37C2AF9.jpg

Attachments

• 004A1C3A75B84EB28B2F351AD37C2AF9.jpg
    004A1C3A75B84EB28B2F351AD37C2AF9.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 94

MIdigger

Reaction score
Id check those old maps online that show the property owners and boundaries. They go back to 1873 here. Historical Map works should get you to the site. You can access the different counties. Its broken down into townships and you can reaserch from there.

The history up there is of great interest to me (history nut). I knew of the park area because My ex wife and I were up there and then again with our daughter in 2001. Just remember the Ford name. Figured it was a get away for them up there.

The link you provided was very interesting. Babe Ruth palying ball there? incredible. Wonder how much he got for that personal appearance??? Id bet it was a handsome sum back in those days!

Ive only been up that way a few times and a couple times we drove through (US-2) out to Montana. Also deer hunted near Crystal falls, and ducks back on the Michigame resevoir, my lab worker her butt off in the mud back there.. Shot one deer near Hermansville back about 95. Man, thats such a long time ago!

ironmountain

Reaction score
lol yah..seems like a long time ago doesn't it? I still feel 18 instead of 40.

Supposedly there's an old Conservation Corps camp just south of the Michigamme Res and east of Crystal Falls. Guy I know has a camp in that area and he said it used to be flooded but now it's not. Went out there once, but ran out of light. going to have to go back there when i get my driving wings back.

I'm sure your lab worked in the Res. that place is huge. quite a few rivers there. I have two griffons and I just take them to friend's land or inlaws farm to hunt grouse. (Everyone up here calls them partridge..no idea why.)

How's the weather? Wind has calmed a bit and it's not as cold as it was, but still quite chilly. Going to have to hit the park in a bit.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Unfortunately the mission today has been scrubbed. Its still raining on and off. Plus the wind has dropped the wind chill out there. Have some running I need to do. Always trying to think of new spots to detect and check.

Hoping this little rash I have on my right arm isnt the start of another go round of that poison ivy. 49 yrs old and never had it, now Ive gotten it 2x this year (hopefully this isnt the 3rd). Brother is getting married for 3rd time tomorrow (nice gal) but I was thinking a cardboard cutout of myself would suffice so I can detect. Then Sunday going to a pair of flea mkts. One down near the Det airport, and the other in Pontiac. Hope the weathers better.

Hopefully you or RD will find some things. I enjoy reading more about others finds than the stuff I find. I just gotta figure out how to post those pictures. I hope me and the B-I-L can hit that spot we got all the coins out of again soon. He told me that one area is full of campers for the ball tournaments, and we need to hit that. He said he would estimate theres 15K people there.

ironmountain

Reaction score
ugh.poison ivy...i've walked through it and still haven't ever gotten the rash.

Funny story...every year (this is back in GR) my friend's very hot Kirstie Alley back in the Cheers days mom and his dad would go to their camp in Escanaba for 4 wks. Theyd leave us a ton of food and money for movies or dates or whatever. One year, they came back after being gone for only a week...His mom had gone into the woods to pee and ended up with poison ivy all over her , umm, nether regions...the funny part is a week later, his dad had it all over his face/neck.

I love the cardboard cutout idea..i laughed at that one.

campers plus 15k ppl for ball tourneys sounds like alot of drunk people losing alot of stuff...should be good times.

good luck if you get out at all tomorrow!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well I am really going for the free food! Small party wedding (about 30 ppl) then a dinner after then back to their house (a large tent with walls and heaters) But that part I am passing on. Not for me to be around the drunks.

However, speaking of drunks, you are thinking the same as I about the ball grounds campers. Lots of beer consumed, falling down etc. General stupidity and so forth. Equals coinage!! Tomorrow were going to the flea mkts, but may get back in time to do more detecting in the PM.

Monday is looking better (and warmer I might add) so Ill probably do more looking then. Hopefully I can get the B-I-L to go again. I did find another large gravel style parking lot at another soccer complex I forgot about and another elementary school thats been closed for years. That one may give up some silver.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went to a retired school and found some quarters and a few pennies. Then hit another ball complex and got about 2/3s covered and decided to go get a pop.

Got back and swished the coins, no keepers, but 33 coins for the morning (8-qtr,5-dime,20 pennies and a brass washer.
May go later if Brother in law is up to it.

ironmountain

Reaction score
sounds like you had some fun!

I cleaned today and went md'ing for an hour and a half before kids got home...more foil, more nails, some bottle caps..0 coins/jewelry..

Was going to go tonight but need to finish painting the kitchen ( methinks i doth procrastinate too much)..because you have to put 3 coats on because you're going over 100yr old dark walnut and wife doesnt sand it or prime it...(tends to be like, "i'm just going to do it"..vs "i'm going to do it properly so it doesn't seem like forever to do)...

Oh! I have some copper for you. Just raw copper i pulled out of the ground. it's only 1-2lbs or so...pm me your addy and I'll get it out to you.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Sent you the addy PM, thanks for the copper pc. I have to get some of your motivation going here and put things away for the Winter etc. Time for clean up and clean out. Toss or donate stuff. Need some new clothes and have to get rid of the hole filled jeans and shorts (believe in maximum value!).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl