So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron- never dug one of those holes before. I see people finding great treasures in them though. May do a bit of digging tomorrow.

I think Ive got that detector down now. I can almost tell the depth of the coin by the loudness of the tones. I was suprised by the amount of quarters I got today. I did a retrace of my path near a concession stand and realized I went to fast. By slowly going over the area I pulled 2 more quarters and 3 pennies and a nickel. Need to slow down my sweeps to get em all.

Not sure about the rain tomorrow. Been on and off here today. Hoping you all have some finds to tell.

riverdiver

Reaction score
Well I too got out today for an hour this morning then another hour this evening at the same location, a 100' long beach/park in my hometown. The tally for 2 hours was 3-quarters, 3-nickels, 8-dimes, 32-pennies, 1-1971 dog tag from Somerville, Mass and a pair of sterling earrings with a blue stone in the center. Here is a photo of the beach/park.

CC86670D65C448D1A80B6085BA33B4C2.jpg

Attachments

• CC86670D65C448D1A80B6085BA33B4C2.jpg
    CC86670D65C448D1A80B6085BA33B4C2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 76

riverdiver

Reaction score
And here is my haul for the day...

CE2E1D786429404BBEE5FFF22C155F8E.jpg

Attachments

• CE2E1D786429404BBEE5FFF22C155F8E.jpg
    CE2E1D786429404BBEE5FFF22C155F8E.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 82

riverdiver

Reaction score
Here is that dog tag too.

F8C2F0C4A7544C5F8E8A574C33F919CC.jpg

Attachments

• F8C2F0C4A7544C5F8E8A574C33F919CC.jpg
    F8C2F0C4A7544C5F8E8A574C33F919CC.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 85

ironmountain

Reaction score
River, that's awesome..and good pics too! Makes me want to hit our local ones..still haven't gotten to any of them due to the no driving epilepsy seizure thing...

MI- went to the park today for about 2hrs....found one clad penny!!!! quite a few old food cans, some washers, hex nuts, nails, screws...i'm going to have to see if that was an old dump. I was walking through it one day with daughter and saw the neck of a blobtop sitting on the grass...no idea if someone dug it there(no holes or filled in areas in the area)or what.

supposed to rain and be nasty tomorrow..if not, I'm going back for more self flagellation.

LC

Reaction score
Every time I see you fellows post your detector finds on here , I think back about my experience metal detecting and get a laugh . I tried out A White metal detector years ago . The house we owned was a pretty old place , so I figured I would find some decent coins in the yard . The railraod tracks ran behind our house . If I remember right I ended up with about 400 bottle caps , 200 old medicine tubes , and roughly 100 railroad spikes . Not one coin in the lot ! Needless to say I took the metal detector back and forgot about ever wanting to do that gain . Of course , looking back on it , I wish I had bought it and stayed with it , I am sure my luck would have change once I had learned to use it more and continue going to different places .

MIdigger

Reaction score
Rd- nice finds. The dog tag is interesting. My pal actually found a 1/2 of one at the fairgrounds. Thought that was kind of odd. Interesting you found both earrings. Ive only found one at a time!

Iron- I think one of these days you will hit it big there. I need to find some more older places to hit for the silver stuff. But parking lot change is always good.

LC- Todays technology makes it much easier to go over trash and not have to dig each target. I know what the old detectors were like. The ones of today help by skipping junk and you can move fairly fast in parking lots picking up change. Those RR spikes I see at a lot of garage sales.

May go today, but 70% chance of T-storms

ironmountain

Reaction score
LC--- I know the feeling...My friend, who owns a restaurant and is a coin dealer/junkie, turned me onto it when I asked if he'd ever been. Spent a cpl hours going over some websites and differences between machines etc.. Guess I got lucky. My first find was a '47 quarter. 2nd find was a '51 rosie. Both in my backyard. I was thinking my yard was going to be the hot spot...wrong. i forgot that they had put a new roof on 3yrs ago (a year before we bought the house), and had done some remodeling. Let's just say they weren't very judicious about cleaning up after themselves. So it was trash city.

MI-That park has to be giving it up sooner or later. Granted I haven't even come close to gridding it off and detecting it how it should be. After I go nuts on cleaning the house today and if it doesn't rain (sinus' are killing me and it's grey out...so most likely going to rain) I'm going to stay there til dark, put it on lowest sensitivy as possible and grid off one area, put it on coin mode and just go super slow and pick all of the topside coins I can...then repeat with all metal mode (disc out iron) and then work the sensitivity up....

Good luck today if it doesn't rain.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Hit the park again today. First find was a quarter, then it was here and there. Got back and got my requsite 2 pcs of copper. 20 coins total (2-Qtrs, 5-dimes, 13-pennies) Again, I didnt look at any that well. I got back and into a swish jar they went.

I rinsed them well and laid them out on a old towel. One dime looked silver. It is, its a 1947-P Roosevelt, and 1 penny was a wheat, but as yet unreadable.

Got rained out. At first I thought I had a chance it would just blow over, then it started coming down harder and that was the end of that. Hope you guys also scored some odds and ends.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Beyond nasty out today. 40-50mph winds, sideways rain all day/night so far...

I cleaned house all day long...thought about ripping up the carpet in the front 4season/sunroom to see if the old wooden floors are still there so I could refinish them. Berber carpet + 3 dogs = alot of snags to repair. Pain in the butt.

Interesting side note: when we bought this house 2 yrs ago, I was told that all of the floorboards have the Ford logo on the backside. Ford built the flivver and wood for the woodies (Kingsford Charcoal was started here..he was related to EG Kingsford)..He utilized left over wood to build all of the wood floors in the houses in the two "Ford Additions". The upstairs floors have all been refinished and are nice. I want to tear all of the carpet up (living room, dining room, entry, stairs,front room) and redo all of the hardwood floors...Would be a nice project for such bad weather.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause