Solid Paint and Stain Removal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

atticmint

Reaction score
Working at a chemical recycle facility I get to try cleaning glass with just about every chemical know to man. Since we do Waste Day collection, I find a lot of jars and bottles filled with paint. Although you might think paint should clean up pretty easy sometimes its a real pain in the @ss to remove, especially hardened oil.
Last night I did some experimenting with two screw cap gin bottles that both had solidified paint. The darker one being 3/4 full and the lighter bottle being 1/4 full and badly stained.
I poked holes in the paint with a coat hanger, then filled the bottles to the top with GooGone and let them sit for around 2 hours. This broke up the solids but really didnt do to much, So I scraped as much of the paint out of the bottles that I could get out and gave it another rinsed with solvent. More of the paint came out but they still looked like crap.
I found a bucket of OxyClean and remembered that annoying guy on the TV yelling about how it removes stains so I gave it try. I dumped a few caps of it into the bottles, filled the rest with hot water and let it sit for an hour.
When I went back to check, I couldnt believe my eyes. Almost every bit of paint had bubbled out of both bottles and after a few rinses they were squeeky clean. To bad I didnt have a before picture, but here is what the finished products look like.
Just thought I would share.
Kev

7EC646F5B3D143639788D05E4B7A5A78.jpg

Attachments

• 7EC646F5B3D143639788D05E4B7A5A78.jpg
    7EC646F5B3D143639788D05E4B7A5A78.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 91

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Wow, I was going to ask about Sawyers Bluing here but that works I'll try it first. If it works I'll think about my laundry etc.. I've been sceptical.

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
That is my secret . In fact I sent the wife to Wal Mart today to buy some more. I discovered Oxi Clean while trying to clean the racks of my dehydrator for my beef jerky, it is amazing stuff.!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles