Some color on a winter day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SAbottles

Reaction score
Wow, Mark; those are breathtaking. And looking at the background, I really can believe you guys are suffering from terminal cabin fever !! From what I see on Sky & CNN it ain't getting any better [:eek:] ! I complain about the strong wind here, but at least you can dig in it. In fact, just toss the spadeful of soil up in the air and phwwt ! It's gone; no filling in !

wolffbp

Reaction score
That Guysott's is a gorgeous bottle Mark.
According to this ad it couldn't possibly be rare though <sarc>

72643EFEF1E84342A79361899B4CD1DD.jpg

Attachments

• 72643EFEF1E84342A79361899B4CD1DD.jpg
    72643EFEF1E84342A79361899B4CD1DD.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 56

CazDigger

Reaction score
There was fierce competition among the big sarsaparilla guys, Bristols, Guysotts, Wilcox and obviously Townsends (both of them) really advertised a lot with some big long winded ads with crazy claims in the 1840s. Must have been a lot of syphilis in Upstate NY during that time. (probably the rough Erie Canal guys). Guysotts was originally made at Bennetts Labs in Little Falls NY and the earliest bottles probably made at Mt Vernon. I'm not sure when they moved to Ohio, probably in the late 1840s early 1850s. I thought I had a good one, I guess its real common. Anybody want it for $5?

earlyglass

Reaction score
Hey Caz,

You are the guy who knows NY, but I have wondered about the Guysott's like yours... in that incredible bluish-green color... if they may have been produced at Albany? I have attached a picture of a Guysotts which is much different. It looks more like a color that I associate with Mt. Vernon, and it also has a different lip treatment, as well as a large sand chip pontil. What do you think?

Mike

D627B53189FA42DA85BFE7640BD7DED1.jpg

Attachments

• D627B53189FA42DA85BFE7640BD7DED1.jpg
    D627B53189FA42DA85BFE7640BD7DED1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 59

CazDigger

Reaction score
Yeah Mike, you are right. I have an early aqua one with a sand-chip pontil that is possibly MT Vernon, as is the one in your photo. I think my emerald green one is from Albany or Mt Pleasant, probably Albany like you said. I have seen a teal square one with an iron pontil and what I call an inverted tapered lip similar to the Pittsburg porter or soda bottles. That may be a transitional one from when they moved to Cinci. before the aqua rect. and oval ones you see.

wolffbp

Reaction score
Mike,
Your example does have a certain Mt. Vernon look to it. However I would be hesitant to make an attribution based simply on appearance or locale. Guysott was coming into popularity towards the end of Mt. Vernon's existence and these bottles may have been produced there. This bottle could have made at Mt. Pleasant or Albany as well. What I would say is correct for it to be a Mt. Vernon product is the color, metal appearance, form, font style and lip finish. However, I wouldn't assume this is MVG based on the empontilling method employed. I wouldn’t rule it out, but it was not common for MVG. I have been actively researching and excavating at Mt. Vernon for a number of years and have not come upon shards that would confirm this bottle (as of yet). I would like to add any photos that you can post to my “possible†library for shard identification.

Mark and I share the same enthusiasm for MVG and have corroborated on a number of occasions. We have also made some interesting attributions in our studies as well. Thanks for posting this Mike. I would love to see the base.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Guysotts are confirmed to have been made at Mt pleasant based on shards dug there but not confirmed at Mt Vernon Glassworks as Brian said . Also, there a few cases where bottles made for businesses during the transition to Mt Pleasant were made at both places (molds carried over), and confirmed by shards, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think it is probable that the Guysotts is one of those. I get all gung-ho about saying this bottle or that bottle is from Mt Vernon, although I have done alot of research on what I call "probable" Mt Vernon bottles, truth be told,very few have actually been confirmed. Other than the GV-5 Success to the Railroad flasks, for a very successful glassworks that was in business for approx. 35 years, there are very few known MVG bottles out there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583