Some color on a winter day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Mark, Brian, Cindy and Mike...Thanks for the ongoing show and tell,....Great info and great bottles...I have (or had) a dark olive bottle with that impression on the base at one time...Seems as though it's unembossed, but pontiled. Learn something new everyday (If you're lucky) Now I'll have to go dig thru some boxes. Thanks!

CazDigger

Reaction score
Thanks Brian here is a photo (looks terrible w/the flash) of the bottle itself. It came out of a house about 15 miles from the glassworks. Note the mark that kinda looks like a cut off number "2" on the base edge on Brian's post.

Joe I would love to see a photo if you can get one. Anyone else out there seen this or got one??????

CIMG2654.jpg

wolffbp

Reaction score
Here's a good example of that fierce sarsaparilla competition Mark had mentioned earlier. This is from one page in a 1848 newspaper.

461336C76AAF4FECBF23293C4C47FFD9.jpg

Attachments

• 461336C76AAF4FECBF23293C4C47FFD9.jpg
    461336C76AAF4FECBF23293C4C47FFD9.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 44

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Looks as though at least three of those ads were side by side!

Mark,... If I still have it I'll post it here...Looked in two boxs already. Seems like it was shorter than the one your showing...Lip was chipped pretty good, that's why it went in a box. I didn't realize where it might be from, Also I may have gifted it to Penn Digger when he was starting his collection. I'll check.

earlyglass

Reaction score
I noticed the same impressed dot on my Roome snuff. I have also seen them with two impressed dots.

CazDigger

Reaction score
I have seen those too Mike but I hear that various dots on the base of refers to the strength of the snuff. (you see quite a few diff. snuffs with raised dots) I would expect that E Roome bottles were made at Mt Pleasant due to the close proximity to Troy NY where Roome was from and during the same time frame. I have not seen snuff shards at Vernon I would be surpised igf they didn't make them. I do I know of a beautiful green freeblown one that was found about 30 yrs ago at an estate sale in Verona a couple of miles from the glassworks. I have been working on convincing the guy he needs to sell it to me!

earlyglass

Reaction score
I had heard that about the snuffs as well, however, as I look at some of the contemporaries of Roome... Applebys, JJ Mapes, and a 1/2 dozen unembossed examples... the only one with the depressed dot is the Roome.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Of all the snuffs I have dug in the mid Atlantic area I haven't found any with the impressed dots on the base I wonder if the idea of them relating to the strength of the snuff is more of an urban legend.

By the way this has been a great thread between this and the colored pontiled utility thread. Lots of good information on the forum this week. Its threads like these that keep me coming back to this site.

I applaud all the students of early glass making on this site. My area of expertise is mid Atlantic stuff I always enjoy these new England threads. They make me want to take a trip up and dig a few privies.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete