Some color on a winter day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CazDigger

Reaction score
I think some of the early attributions came from pioneer collectors like Harry Hall White who were still able to find items in their original local as opposed to items that have changed hands and locations numerous times in different collections. Unfortunately, this sort of provenance has been lost for our generation for the most part and we can only speculate where they came up with many of these early attributions. I think that is the case with the GI-29

CazDigger

Reaction score
Brian that would make it too small for the GI-29 carafe which is attributed to MVG since that sub- type only came in quart size. It could be the GI-30 for which the sub type attributed from MVG was a 1/2 pint. The key to figuring out the difference between the MVG molds and the Sandwich pieces of those types is the base markings (probably missing on your shard), also size and colors to a lesser extent. That is a typical color for MVG but I have only seen MVG items for GI-30 in aqua and clear (handled cruet and patty plate in Corning). That mold was definitely used at Mt Pleasant too, esp in olive green, where they did not produce clear glass. It also reminds me of those early annular ring inks attributed to Pitkin.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Actually Brian, I just measured the base of a quart GIII-2 decanter and it is 3 1/2 - 4" just like your shard. The GI-30 1/2 pint should be about 2- 2 1/2 " So you probably do have a GI-29 there.

wolffbp

Reaction score
Good to know Mark, thanks for checking.
I can't express enough my respect and admiration for the work of Harry Hall White. However I think the majority of his excavations were rushed and far from thorough. It is unfortunate that so many of the "common" bottles that we are trying to attribute now were basically ignored early on, as historical flasks and tpm pieces were all that really received attention.

annie44

Reaction score
The lip on the ink and something about the clarity of the glass reminds me a lot of a CT utility that I have, but there is no olive at all in my piece - it is a pure green. I have never seen anything remotely close to the shape of that ink. I would definitely say American, and New England, but if you don't know where to place it, I certainly don't either! (although I am enjoying the fact that I am starting to have my own "hunches" about where some of my unembossed utilities came from.)

earlyglass

Reaction score
You are right on track Cindy. My other thought was CT. It is a nice match colorwise to some of my CT glass.
I think that you have really observed this stuff over the years and know it just as well as anyone!

Mark & Brian, Thank you for all of your information. I'm glad to see that there are other guys staying up nights dwelling over this stuff! I couldn't sleep last night thinking about great NY medicines... and I'n a NH guy!

Mike

wolffbp

Reaction score
Thank you Mike and Mark for the discussion and posting your most excellent glassware!

Brian

CazDigger

Reaction score
Annie, if you find small op. cylinders with an impressed dot or dimple, that is either Mt Vernon or Mt Pleasant glass. (looks like someone took a pencil and made a small impression). I have also seen the dimples on umbrella inks and blacking bottles from Mt Pleasant. Vernon used mostly (shades of ) green glass and Mt Pleasant olive amber with a more amber tone. This may help you identify some of your utilities. I'll see if I can get some photos up later.

wolffbp

Reaction score
Just happen to have a pic Mark. Here is an example of a Mt. Vernon piece with the dimple. This one never made it to the empontiling stage.

21F2A11953ED4B29BD4F68C7DD832F85.jpg

Attachments

• 21F2A11953ED4B29BD4F68C7DD832F85.jpg
    21F2A11953ED4B29BD4F68C7DD832F85.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 59

wolffbp

Reaction score
And here's one that Mark sent to me.

750EBF9AB4D34360BBC1F8742DD8A597.jpg

Attachments

• 750EBF9AB4D34360BBC1F8742DD8A597.jpg
    750EBF9AB4D34360BBC1F8742DD8A597.jpg