Some more Earlyglass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Oh, and you obviosly would't throw somthing really valuable in a local, unpublicized auction with limited viewers.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Would agree, I don't think much of ebay either!
They keep trying to fix what isn't broken
They keep screwing more money out of you one way or another for no good reason
They keep increasing their total monopoly on the whole buying/selling process
I can't believe they haven't already bought out a courier who they will stipulate we must all use...

But...they do put your item in front of potentially millions of people....

earlyglass collector

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Nice glass Mark,this site has always need this type of glass presented, sadly it has always been very limited. Here is a write up I have at my website,I don't know if you had seen it yet. It seems the Dutch were making a lot of early glass in New York City. http://historical-american-glass.com/new-york-state-early-glass.html
http://historical-american-glass.com/newburgh-glass-house-co-1751-1759.html http://historical-american-glass.com/brooklyn-glass-house-co-1754-1758.html
I would like your comment on this one in particular. The bottles shown here are the German,Dutch,English hybrids you spoke of earlier. http://historical-american-glass.com/glass-house-farm-glass-house-co-1758-1783.html again New York State http://historical-american-glass.com/the-dowesburghalbany-glass-house-1785-to-1815.html and one last one http://historical-american-glass.com/hilltown-glass-works-bucks-county-pennsylvania-1751-1766.html This one also has a hybrid bottle of sorts English bottom German top Thanks Mark any info would be welcome.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Forgot to include this link Mark, Here is the one I wanted you to see. http://historical-american-glass.com/brooklyn-glass-house-co-1754-1758.html These are the hybrids English, German, Dutch,I spoke of above. The sealed One from New York City and the Wistarburgh made plain Utility/Wine/Porter bottle. Thanks again Steve

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Thanks for those Steve,
have looked at them quickly and tried to digest the info.
Certainly I've always thought of the script PS magnum seal as a dfinitely American made bottle. It is just too different to anything English in several subtle ways, plus all the ones I have seen (I even had one a few years ago) have originated in US. The lip is obviously the most obviously different/unusual feature, and certainly is a style that seems to have become popular with early American blown bottles, particularly the larger items...
But even the seal istelf is unusually scripty, which although not unheard of, would be relatively "out of fashion" amongst English Gentlemen at this time.
The mallet/squat shown...is less of a certainty as it stands. I frequently come across many bottles looking very similar in general terms, and with something like this a good provenance is almost the only definable definitive evidence of a certain manufacture. I believe there are other marks particularly around pontils that might define some of the American glassworks though?....certainly if they (or this mallet?) have these then it is excellent that we can look at something like this confidently in minute detail and hopefully find more subtle differnces tha might be compared to other bottles that we feel might not be standard English made and therefore identify possible early American attribution.
As it staands there is probably more research done on early American glassworks history than in early UK...!!!! Something that has always been something of an embarrassment to me. Only now am I tentatively attributing certain unmarked bottles to perhaps a "northern" or Scottish glasshouse, simply from observations of differences and the locaations where some of these bottles are found - when they ARE found with any archeologicala significance at least. Unfortunately, the longer tmee goes on, the more bottles become disipated and we lose evidence of where they might hava originated. Not that this is definitive evidence, bearing in mind relative ease of travel and shipping of any goods even back in the 18th C, at last in more coastal areas or those connected to tributaries.
I think we can at least attribute most West Country (in UK) seals to the obvious mre local glasshouses such as Exeter and more commonly Bristol. Equally some Scottish seal bearing obvious differences of style we can attribute to Northern glasshouses like Newcastle and Alloa....
But it is all still very subjective. I think you guys are lucky to have much more importance given to your earlier history, with your glassorks sites being archeologically examined. Unfortunately of course glassworks artefacts by their common usage of cullet does not even then provide definitive proof of attribution, just perhaps a "good likelyhood".
One interesting facet of this whole investigation lies in some of the Ricketts marked bottles. They are obviously marked on their bases with one or other of the Ricketts embossing variations, thus presuming a Bristol made item, even when the seal is proven to be from some notable early American individual. However I have made a particular although casual subject of examining these bottles, and have noticed time and again that the lips are noticeably more angled than the majority of definite English examples of the same periods. It is very subtle, and is not 100% but it is there.
If one surmises that the patented 3 piece molds themselves were sold, possibly on licence to certain American glasshouses that when used by an American glassblower, although the Rickett's mold means that all the bottle body and neck will have to look like any common Bristol made example, the actual lip itself is the one part that will be susceptible to any "foreign influences", the one part that is made and added entirely by the American glassblower.
Of course sometimes there are also colour differences, but I am wary of trying to give too much attribution to colours which are sometimes ony very subtly different to what might expect. Some "limey" (ha, there's an irony!!:)) aqua greens and certainly any ambers often point to a non English probability...

But enough for now
earlyglass collector

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,one more picture for you to look at. These are my Wistarburgh attributed mallets and or chestnut utility bottles in a group photo. Note the varying colors lip finishes produced at these works. These were made between 1739 and 1780 the years the factory was in operation.

8B18B251DB0C4A27B92E64C9A432E951.jpg

Attachments

• 8B18B251DB0C4A27B92E64C9A432E951.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 103

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Thanks for that Steve. I have little knowledge of the chestnuts and utilities shown and am quite happy to be told they are Wistarburgh by those like yourself with better knowledge than me in these areas. Interesting how much they DO vary though. I believe that pale mallet is marked within the pontil isn't it? Which if there is evidence confirming this marking that is great.
The darker mallet at back (presumably the one pictured previously?)still worries me that it is not particularly different in any obvious way to me - at least that I can see in the pic?....is there anything else about it I don't know that gives you this attribution? Is it amber or something?..or is there some significant provenance to it?
earlyglass collector

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Thanks Mark,one more picture for you to look at. ...

Wow, Steve!

"Perhaps a thread on these guys?", said he openmouthed.

Or, as they say in Jersey:

kiedis-bw-open-mouthed.jpg

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
I've put this one on here before, but I'm told this is a Wistarburgh piece...

P1140088_zpsd151f576.jpg

earlyglass

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Thanks Mark,one more picture for you to look at. ...

Wow, Steve!

"Perhaps a thread on these guys?", said he openmouthed.

Or, as they say in Jersey:

kiedis-bw-open-mouthed.jpg
I owe you still a care package surf, I haven't forgot you!! Thanks for checking in

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS