Some more Irish bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and welcomes yesterday. Well I went out today and visited a couple of sites that I had not visited before and it seems to have paid off! Forgive me if these are not pre 1900s but they certainly seem to be! Fingers crossed. The first bottle is very irregular and the cap was sealed on seperately. Also, it says "Queenstown" which was what my hometown (Cobh) was named between 1849 & 1922: "It was renamed Queenstown in 1849 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria and so remained until the name Cobh was restored in 1922 with the foundation of the Irish Free State." Interestingly I have also found some Irish Free State bottles so have a strong of history.

23vz2ih.jpg

15ml837.jpg

j94twm.jpg

My question with regards to this bottle would be its age - do ye think it would fit into the 1800s category or not and might it be worth much with the history of the town name? I would probably never sell this as this is by far my best bottle so far...

I also found what appears to be some kind of a brandy bottle? It has no embossing, and has what appears to be a surround which would have held a wax seal. A lovely looking bottle. It is clearly quite old and seems quite irregular with lots of bubbles. It seems like it was fit in a number of pieces. The cap is also sealed on separately. Obviously this cannot be traced but I would appreciate an age estimate if that would be possible?

10xbls0.jpg

ezfy1i.jpg

I also found a number of what appear to be stoneware jam pots (?) Here is a picture of the best one. What a beauty. Again - any information on these would be greatly appreciated, especially age.

2re4arr.jpg

Was very excited only to be let down when I came across this cognac bottle which I cannot trace:

2cxun2x.jpg

Also here is a shot of my best finds from today. This site is the best yet. Can't wait to get back out. Im using a hand trowel and it is torture. Really need to invest in a shovel!!

28jh7gw.jpg

Thanks again

All the best,

Seán.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say.. 1879.

Actually, I do have to guess... 1879.... [;)]

Really cool stuff, thank you for sharing with the forum!

A85DD295E6A8402A93D4D42172A251EE.jpg

Attachments

• A85DD295E6A8402A93D4D42172A251EE.jpg
    A85DD295E6A8402A93D4D42172A251EE.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 56

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I have a very similar black glass bottle.

I think based on your other finds, it fits perfectly with this tidbit someone else posted:

"This bottle is definitely English and held whisky etc and dates from around 1890 - 1910."

Someone also said:

"Most, and I suspect yours are from the turn of the century. I've seen them with applied lips made right into the 1900's. They sell for about 10 bucks In mint condition."

However, contradictorily, the appraiser people at the Baltimore bottle show told me it was Scottish and from the 1840's, and worth $90-$125. I don't know who to believe...

Nice bottles, by the way!

ronayne88

Reaction score
Haha,

Thanks Cyberdigger. This is a great forum - I will continue to post as I find. So do you reckon I finally have some 19th C stuff at least?

Thanks again.

Seán

ronayne88

Reaction score
Wheelah,

Thanks for that info. It certianly does look a lot like that bottle alright. I found it by pure chance. It had rolled down from the dump site and down into a gulley. It's bottom end was just visible. First bottle of the day as I entered the woods from the shoreline!

Cheers,
Seán

Lodzaglass

Reaction score
Fat black glass bottle is defo English and dates 1890 - 1915, would have contained brandy. Your other goodies also date this period or very close. Base should read N & Co which stands for Nuttall & co, St Helens Lancashire.

Tips from this period will give up some extremly nice goodies and all semi hand made i.e. applied lips and bubbles/crudeness.

Get stuck in there my son!

Lodzaglass

Reaction score
Actually I have just noticed that the base markings are from the first Queenstown bottle which is a crown cap mineral water cylinder which will almost certainly date to 1910 -1920s period, although with the formation of the Irish Free State in 1922 your bottle has to date to almost bang on 1920.

Very interesting and collectable bottle, great find.

The black brandy bottle may be continental in origin but again dates late 19th or Early 20th.

Cant wait to see what you find next!

Are you a member of any of the English forums?

Lots of great advice and knowledge of English manufactured bottles on these. Most pre 1922 Irish bottles were manufactured in England, mostly in South Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Of course a lot of Irish bottle were manufactured in Dublin by IGB and earlier manufacturing plants in the same area.

An untapped collecting area. All the best.

ronayne88

Reaction score
Loadzabottles,

Cheers - some great info there. I am not joined any of the english forums but will look into it and join some of them. Do you have any idea what the Queenstown bottle may be worth? I would never sell it but it would be interesting to know.

Thanks,

Seán

Lodzaglass

Reaction score
Hi Sean.

I am sorry to say that aqua minerals with applied lips from the early 20th Century are very collectable but worth very little. If you decided to sell her on Ebay you might get a Euro or if there are a few interested parties then you might get twenty or thirty Euros. Then again it might not sell at all.

My advice would be to keep it in your collection as bottles are sure to become more valuable and collectable as they are all part and parcel of Irish history and have a story to tell.

Does your bottle have an applied lip i.e. do the mould seams continue to the very top of the crown cap lip or does do the seams finish just before the lip?.. therefore a partially hand made bottle and more collectable as it is before mass production methods kicked in.

I still think that it is a great find.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers