Some Recently Dug Bottles...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

That was laundry starch.

That makes perfect sense with the flatiron on it. All I can think of when you say laundry starch is a can of spray starch. I guess the aerosol can was still a long way off to the women back then.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
you ever see the old movies, they took a swig in thier mouths and spayed it on the shirt[;)]
Thats probably a hot item with the iron collectors.

I had a trade card with one of those gilt edge bottles on it but sold it.
Here is one from the company from Reggie's site...
http://www.antiquebottles.com/rl/tc/GiltEdge.jpg
They were in fancy bottles because they were marketed to ladies.

DeaconDave

Reaction score
Matt it wasent starch that they swigging, it was water Women in thoes days never new what a steam iron was because they were not invented yet. But they knew if they spewed a little water on the shirt that it would make steam, and steam is murder on wrinkles.
Dave

kanudigit?

Reaction score
Spitting on shirts? Mebbe they just didn't like ironing [:D]

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Maybe it had alcohol in it like the bitters of the day. Then they could drink it, swig it, spit it or do just about anything they wanted with it. It would probably make ironing quite enjoyable then.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Like the sad iron bottle, I have a hobbleskirt with a sprinkler top still in it that was in vogue a couple decades ago for ironing clothes. I also found one of those gilt edge dressings in a creek once, thought it was holy water or something, being so fancy till I looked it up, nice looking bottle though, as Ben said.

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hi Dan,
This may be more information than you care to have but: I found Joseph C Hubinger in the Federal Census' from 1880 to1920. As a young man he was a clerk in a drugstore in Iowa.
Later his occupation was listed as Manufacturer of Starch. He lived on Elm Street in New Haven. He had three servants and a nurse in 1920 and three servants and a "all around man" in his home in 1910 so he must have done well!! He was born in Indiana of German/French parents in 1858.
I really love the stories of the bottles!!
Regards,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960