Someone please stop this person!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with Stephen that people who nuke bottles are generally good folks, but they can be unwillingly evil [;)]. In my opinion any bottle worth 50 cents to $10 is a good candidate for nuking. Nobody is going to miss a common bottle. But when you start zapping everything you come across, you start to get reckless. I have a rare local medicine that someone I know nuked. I've also seen a number of uncommon RI blob sodas that were nuked by a naive collector. I have even seen the same person nuke a teal green Rumford bottle so that it turned a hideous purply olive brown.

The worst atrocity I've seen is a rare aqua pontiled medicine worth around $200. The same guy nuked it, so it is now a funky clear lavender. I mean, how STUPID are you nuking rare pontiled bottles?!?!? In my opinion someone this foolish should be banned from clubs and all shows. They are damaging rare bottles, and this should not be encouraged.

The prices are equally shocking. Most rare nuked bottles I have seen with asking prices nearly identical to those that were not nuked! The seller in question asks ridiculous prices for what are honestly crappy looking bottles. I just saw one milk-shaped oyster bottle from RI that sells for $10-30 on ebay. He wanted $125!!!! Quite frankly, you have to be a pretty scummy person to try and bilk someone by asking five times the value of something you should be asking $20 at the most for.
Everyday people don't understand what irradiation is. If a coin collector artificially added patina to a coin, he would be branded as being dishonest and the coin would be worthless. The same thing goes for anything collectible that acquires a finish as it gets older. You screw with the natural process and it loses most of its value.
Ok, that's all for now. Just had to get it out.

jamieyohnPA

Reaction score
hey rick-isn't "nuking" what you said you think happened to my supposed black glass bottle which when I held it to a bright light was actually purple? (its a good thing purple is my favorite color and that I only paid about $2 for the bottle!!)

splante

Reaction score
I agree with most of what ribottle guy says, its just another way to screw over some naive collector, because most would not spend $125.00 for a $25.00 bottle . not its not He states the bottle is not natural and was irreadated so I give him credit for that.and if someone wants to pay for it thats their issue. Its kinda like imho tumbled bottles, they just dont look right for a 100 year old bottle and Iam seeing them more and more in the consigment/antique shops for preimum $$ without being labled as tumbled bottles. Just another way to trick someone into thinking they have a mint bottle when it was actually altered.....

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

How about THIS ONE? Is this a real color?
Look at his completed jars Charlie, I think it will answer your question...

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Bottles-Insulators-/29797/i.html?item=121005396703&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c7bd2df&_ssn=kj-treasures&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Here's a classic. He doesn't say he's coloring them, and it appears he's probably putting them up one at a time. At least, he's only got one up now, but has sold many of these altered jars...

Jim G

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Look at his completed jars Charlie, I think it will answer your question...

http://www.ebay.com/csc/Bottles-Insulators-/29797/i.html?item=121005396703&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c7bd2df&_ssn=kj-treasures&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

HE SHOULD GO ALL THE WAY AND NUKE SOME 1858'S HE WOULD MAKE A FORTUNE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26