something is just not right here

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
well I see it all now... I didnt know you could zoom like that on ebay, they keep changing things! I dont go there to much no more...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
and you can see the half post cutoff very clearly in the neck.
That's what I was looking at. The flask deserves a better auction format than ebay.

So what's the verdict? Pitkin, Mathers or what.

The zoom hasn't been working well for me either. What's up with that. New change to mess with non IE users?

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

and you can see the half post cutoff very clearly in the neck.
That's what I was looking at. The flask deserves a better auction format than ebay.

So what's the verdict? Pitkin, Mathers or what.

The zoom hasn't been working well for me either. What's up with that. New change to mess with non IE users?
The color matters a lot Eric in this, determining a place of manufacture. From the pictures provided it looks to be more New Jersey in color but this type of flask was made by the German glass blowers in the mid to late 1700s. So it could be Wistarburgh New Jersey ,Etna Frederick Maryland,Braintree ( Germantown )Mass,Stiegel Manheim Pennsylvania,Stangers in Glassboro New Jersey,Amelung Frederick Maryland,Pitkin Hartford Conn,and I saw a ton of glass this color at the Kensington Glass works in Philadelphia 1770.It is an 18 century flask in great shape,it will shoot up in price at the eleventh hour.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
What do you guys think about that GI-7 type IV.Not listed in clear like the type III
That looks right to me and more authentic than some I've had questions about. Not listed in clear (flint) as of 1941 doesn't mean that much to me.
The pattern up over the first rib is a nice touch. The ones I've seen don't tend to have that. Does that make me right. NO!
Back to you Steve.
Edit
I should add: How do they get the pattern over the rib from a cup mold to begin with?

David Fertig

Reaction score
First of all I am not an expert or evern a collector of such bottles.

Question - what is the time period for the Harrison's and the Lambertville?

Notice - the fourth bottle she seller has listed does not say it was found under the floor of a house.

Now without knowing the exact context, here are my thoughts. You could not build a bottle from 1900 into a house that was built 1840's. You could build a bottle from 1800 inot a house built in the 1840's. If it were found in an area where it could have fallen into the cavity, then it could be later, however if the house was lath and plastered from new and the attic floor showed no signs of being disturbed, I would say ok.

Example - my bro-in-law opened up an orig. wall in his house, built 1951. Found a couple milks set there before the wall was lathed. Dated 1951.

I have found items built into houses too. Not sure if my scissors are on AB or not.

So... My thought would be that the house dates to the time of the Lambertville bottle. The flask would have been the same as a "late throw" in a dump.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
So... My thought would be that the house dates to the time of the Lambertville bottle. The flask would have been the same as a "late throw" in a dump.
Exactly! Maybe grandpa gave the land to whoever and the flask was "buried" as remembrance. Later bottles could be due to a found structural defect and a load bearing wall got moved etc.. Anything could happen and bottles from the BC era could be in a new house today. New bottles could be found in a BC home tomorrow.[:)] Not just on a shelf either.
As far as the Lambert and Harry bottles I'd guess 1840's for Harry could be right and 1860's for Lambert. I'm not an expert on them so don't take that as fact.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583