Southern Maine Bottle Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowback

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the great feedback. Beendiggin I would dig a big hole to clay but it keeps flooding up on me. So I keep stopping till I hit water. Unless you guys have a method to avoid the water.

cowback

Reaction score
Beendiggin What town are you from because when I talk about Maine I usually say there is Northern Maine and Southern Maine. I live in Auburn Maine. I do hope we can dig together some time and talk about what we have found. I also found a wicked piece of local history. I just found an Aluminum Business Card and it is all in French, I found in this same dump.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I'm in Waldoboro, not sure if thats what you call North or South. It's on the coast between Wiscasset and Rockland. I hope we can dig sometime too. I drive through Auburn several times each summer to bring my kids to and from camp.

Lobster207

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Drew. I am also fairly new to the forum and I enjoy reading and learning from the other member's posts. I am from Gardiner and I can totaly sympathize with you on the water issue and digging. The vast majority of bottle digging I've done over the years has been near streams and the water is a constant challenge, especially with all the rain we've had this year. Stream banks seem to have been a popular place to discard unwanted items in the earlier days, at least in the areas that I've dug. My tool of choice in muddy conditions is a potato digger or hand cultivator. Dig slowly to avoid breaking or scratching the keepers. Water can move bottles and other items a considerable distance, work your way upstream and you may find the main dump site and save digging in the mud until drier times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem