SPEAS U-SAVIT...Red Book?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to the 'jars' forum though, I have been posting over in the 'bottles' forums for a while. I have been digging up ALOT of jars in the one of the dumps I am working. I dug up this "speas vinegars" ,u-sav-it ,1 quart. I hear that they can be pretty collectable. Does anyone have information on the one I have found...THANKS!

Tr49263.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49263.jpg
    Tr49263.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 121

glopf43

Reaction score
RE: SPEAS VINEGARS

Heres one of the bottom of the 'speas vinegars 1 qt'...thanks again

Wu61590.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61590.jpg
    Wu61590.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 94

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
The Speas jars I've ever seen are embossed on the base only, the embossing on the shoulder of this jar is certainly a plus. I think Redbook (I don't have mine with me right now) prices them pretty cheap, but most of the ones I ever saw offered for sale were anywhere from $10 to $20 - without the shoulder embossing. -Tammy

glopf43

Reaction score
Hello Tammy. Thanks for your response. It seems, perhaps, that the 'Red Book' is a bit out of touch when it comes to 'Speas Vinegars'. I did an eBay search (as sugessted by another forum member) and 'Speas' has its OWN list of auctions. These collectors seem very willing to pay quite a bit for the jars. A 1pint 8oz (with embossed shoulders) just sold for $498.44!! and a 1ga for apx. $475.00!! The average for most of the 'Speas' is in the $100.00 range. I've been watching for about 10 day's and their is usually some 14 in auction at any given time. From what I understand the 'Red Book' has not had a new addition in several years; maybe it's time. Thanks again...

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Hi Gary, Yes, I've noticed too that Redbook seems to under price those brands that have their own group of collectors. Some of the most notable - Red Wing, Jumbo, Dove Brand, White House. I'm sure there are others too. I did see a jar just like yours on ebay # 6158712972. Might be worth keeping an eye on just to see where it ends up. Lotsa luck - Tammy

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Hi Gary, Hey I finally looked up what it says in the Redbook! Redbook only lists the base embossed ginger-jar shaped jar and prices it at $75-$100. The one I seem to run across most often is the half gallon handled pitcher type that will still take a standard size or zinc lid. I sold a few of those on eBay a few years back in the $15-$25 range. That seemed to be pricey enough for me. I know the pint base embossed ginger jar types seem to go for quite a bit more than the quarts. $100 seems to me to be an awful lot to pay for a clear machine made jar that is maybe 60-some years old - and $400++ would be out of the question. Hope you didn't take too much flak from whoever had the high bid when you closed that auction!! -Tammy

JohnRoy

Reaction score
My name is John. I was going through my mother-in-law's smokehouse this weekend, and found a jar like this one, except that it reads "Spea Company" on the shoulder. Man, I can not wait to get back in there this weekend! I took it because it said "U Sav It" on the bottom. Does anyone know why these are so collectible? BTW, the bottle was found in Appling, GA (near Augusta). I have also found other bottles, but nothing notable except some "J.H. McCLean's Volcanic Oil Linnament," and some typical Mason jars. I may have seen another "U-Sav-It" jar, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski