spencer,MASS. soda bottle ¿¿small town??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
spencer,MASS. soda bottle ¿¿small town??

i bought this soda(?) bottle a while back for $8 i got it for the obvious reason that it has my name on it. does anyone know of any more bottles from here ? this is the only one i have even heard of so i know nothing about it. is this a small town? if so, is this a rare bottle? what is it worth? what does nsga stand for? what was in this bottle and any other information about these or maybe a digging story about one or anything i really would like to hear about it thanks in advance because i know you guys go to extreme measures to ensure every aspect of this and any other question for that matter is researched and will leave no stone unturned

the bottle says on the front across the shoulder "registered" and in the middle in a slug plate "N.S.G.A SPENCER,MASS." and on the bottom "contents 7 fluid ounces" and on the heel of the front is the numbers "17-3" on the back the bottle reads "this bottle not to be sold" i do know it was made by "glenshaw glass works" and dates exactly to 1935 it is among my favorites thanks for your patience

CB227ED703024EA19FF55155C5232698.jpg

Attachments

• CB227ED703024EA19FF55155C5232698.jpg
    CB227ED703024EA19FF55155C5232698.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
RE: spencer,MASS. soda bottle ¿¿small town??

Spencer,

I believe N.S.G.A stands for Narragansett Springs Ginger Ale. It is spelled out on the bottle I have. Not sure why that Native American tribal name was used, as Rhode Island was the area where they lived, not Massachusetts. However the Narragansett allied themselves with in 1675 with King Philip and the Wampanoag Sachem, to support the Wampanoag Tribe's efforts to reclaim land in Massachusetts. Local lore may have attributed the name to the springs during that time. Or, as was a very popular marketing gimmick in the 20's and 30's, the bottler adopted an Indian name for the springs regardless if history was on their side of the facts. Spencer was founded in 1753 and has about 12,000 residents.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
RE: spencer,MASS. soda bottle ¿¿small town??

so that means spencer is/was a medium sized town? thanks for the information about the name i have been racking my brain trying to figure it out thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles