Stolen from NH Bottle Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jim
he should be thrown out at the door and immediately treated to a "blanket party" in the back parking lot [:mad:]. ~Jim

I dunno what kind of blanket party you are referring to, but in my experience it is usually a rather enjoyable activity. [;)]

The theft sucks. If I read correctly, it wasn't kbti's bottle but that doesn't make it any less awful. At the Pekin, Illinois show someone stole a blown SS coke off one of the dealers tables. I dunno how they managed it but it happened. Some people are real buttholes. I have never stolen something from a show, estate sale or shop, even if it would have been easy and unnoticed. Karma will come back and bite you in the arse if you aren't ethical when it comes to such things.

With the birdswing in the bottle, there is no way that it could be mistaken as a non-stolen item if viewed by an informed collector. Sooner or later it will be found, and someone will get "tarred and sharded" with a vengeance. [:D]

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
unfortunately, our justice system bites the big one and our prisons are too overcrowded for someone to get more than a slap on the wrist for this kind of crime.

im ALL about the blanket party.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
well theres a million eyes watching ebay and craislist around here..if he ends up being around this neck of the woods..ill gladly knock on his door knock out his tooth and return that ink..what the hell is the point in collecting if you have to put up with this crap?

Jim

Reaction score
Sadly, any hobby that involves anything of value will occasionally be the target of thieves. The more people are around, the higher the chance that there could be a dishonest scoundrel or two among them. That's why many bottle thefts occur at shows [:(].

The blanket party I was referring to involves about 4-6 unhappy bottle enthusiasts throwing a large blanket over the perpetrator and beating some stupid out of him [;)].

Seriously, whether the cops get him or the collectors get him, I hope the thief gets what he deserves and the thought of stealing anything again never crosses his mind. ~Jim

LC

Reaction score
That is a beautiful ink , it is truly a shame it was stolen . Myself , if I had that kind of quality at a show , I would have had it in a case under glass with lock and key . If he had , he would more than likely still have it in his possession , or would have ended up having the opportunity to sell it to a reputable buyer.

I used to do the Springfield Extravaganza Antique Show at Springfield , Ohio up to last year . There were usually 2200 to 2500 setups there . I had a fairly large display case I carried for any good small items I carried . I sold some bottles but mostly other collectables . I know what it is to lose 100 dollars pieces that were too big to put in a case . Thank goodness I never had 1000 dollar pieces stolen from me . Like Lobes said , if there is a lot of people that swarm a dealer at one time , you can bet there will be a low life amongst them that will walk off with something . I specialized in gas and oil memorabilia . I could not keep the gas and oil banks on the table for low life's stealing them , I finally gave up and quit selling them at all . As for security , there is no way a show like that can be looked over with a watchful eye . Smaller show of some kind , maybe .

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Security cameras would be an excellent idea. A security company could rent them out to shows such as these. The entry price may go up or dealer fees, but I think it would be worth it. Another thing sellers should invest in are rubber mats for their area. I don't know how many times I have heard of sellers who have dropped a valuable bottle setting up or during the show and it smashed on the hard floor.

woody

Reaction score
The Yankee bottle club, who puts on the Keene, NH bottle show, did hire a police officer for security at the show, although he can't be all the place all the time.
It's incidents like this that tarnish the hobby, but one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.
Overall, it was a very good show.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Man, that is a great ink! Make em walk the shard plank, sez I...

ktbi

Reaction score
Stephen is right - it wasn't my bottle. Just saw the article and thought I would share. We had a thread last year about theft at shows and many of the comments then mirror our feelings now. I have found overall that bottle collectors are more upfront and honest than the average person. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life in the past and will be in the future. We just have to be diligent and catch those we can. I've had things stolen from me and it's not fun...Thnks....Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1