Stoneware jug question!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was digging around r woods today & found a stoneware jug:) sadly it was broken but I am going to repair it back together:).

The jug has a brown top and handle , while the bottom half is white. It says in blue "4 and then blue ribbon brand" . Dose anyone no the date of age of it is? Thank u -jake

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jake,

Good luck on the repair.

"ANSWER: Joseph Pech along with his sons W. J. and Frank established the Buckeye Pottery in Macomb in 1882. Pech, born in Bohemia on June 15, 1827, apprenticed for 12 years as a potter in Vienna, Austria. His family immigrated to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Pech attemped to establish a stoneware pottery but was unsuccessful due to the poor quality of the clay. Pech next moved to Atwater County, Ohio, where he manufactured stoneware for approximately 15 years. He sold his interest in the pottery in 1877 to concentrate on farming. Pech moved his family to Macomb in 1882.

Buckeye Pottery was located on Carroll Street, near the railroad. At the peak of its production, the company employed 20 individuals. The clay came primarily from Macomb County. Wares were marketed to Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, and other western states. In 1939, Haeger Company purchased Buckeye Pottery and used the pottery to manufacture Haeger floral artware..." From.

They made a nice Chicken Waterer, too.

5221846_2.jpg
From.
antique-jug-533202510125001591.jpg
From.

Jake12

Reaction score
Thank u for the info , in fact I have found a chicken waterer! What year did they stop making the stoneware ? -jake

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau