Straight Sided Coke (error?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jcrlanger

Reaction score
I'll have a picture hopefully by tonight, but I wanted to find out is anyone has seen anything like this. In my pre-40's dump I found a straight sided coca cola from Lincolnton NC. The thing is that the embossing was in three lines forming a circle with a line in the middle. The middle was mispelled as such - "Bottlig Co". Has anyone else seen a bottle where the 'n' is missing from the word 'Bottling'? I believe I have a winner here but wanted to check with everyone here.

Thanks
John

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi jcrlanger, No doubt your bottle was part of a sampling quantity of molds for glass samples Some mold maker missed including the " n " in the word. This type of error is just typical of Mold Maker Error. I have collected a lot of them, but I try to do it without a lot of investment. I am working on a homepage blog about embossing methods and tools. I would have appreciated a picture, anyway. RED Matthews

jcrlanger

Reaction score
You asked for it Red. Here are two pictures of this fine bottle.

l_34966e4a37854c3aaf89384cd5244f8a.jpg

l_5a45ac0454634fb886a3cd754855ddf1.jpg

You can almost see the 'BOTTLIG' better in the first picture. But the embossing is clear and no other errors. The one thing I know is that the Licolnton plant opened in 1911. Legitimately this could be from right around this time as I've found some bottles near that time frame in this dump. Embossing top 'COCA - COLA' middle 'BOTTLIG CO.' bottom 'LINCOLNTON, N.C.' on side around base 'CONTS. 6 FL. OZ.' No other markings. Just a nice little bottle.

John

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks John, If you decide to sell it, let me know. It is a good example of a sleepy mold maker or one that was in a hurry. I think I saved the picture OK. The different marks on bottles tell us a lot about how they were made. Have you visited my homepage yet? The article about the Half-Leaf Mold Cavity Repair is one type of mark that has been a real challenge to explain. The guys on this FORUM beat on my description quite hard, but I know I covered it correctly. I just need to find two bottles with the same mark on them - I guess. Thanks again, RED Matthews

jcrlanger

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Red and nice site. I'll look into in more once I get the time. I'm going to hold onto this Coke for a bit and since I live near Lincolnton, take a ride up there to visit a local collector to see if I can get a bit more information.

v/r
John

ncbred

Reaction score
There was a Thomasville Bottling Co. bottle on Ebay a few weeks ago and Bottling was spelled Btttling. Went for $60+.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski