Stumbled upon a dump today....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I can get some photos the next time I am in town and in the area.

To clarify, it isn't an embankment (a word choice i regretted after reading what i posted), but more of a road-cut into the base of an ancient (glacial era) cliff with a cleft in the bedrock large enough to be considered a cave, of sorts. The mining away involved hewing into the virgin stone walkways and ledges to allow for ample movement and sitting space along the higher, above-floor levels, as well as digging out the floor to make the space deeper and more accommodating. It really is a fun area, we built stone walls and other chill-out areas, but haven't been there in almost 2 years. About time to do some house-cleaning!

Also, we have discussed the possibility of carving with chisels our names, dates, and fitting messages for posterity. Considering the environmental protection afforded by the spot, the evidence of our lives will remain long after our bodies and tombstones get covered up by development or get lost under the sands of time. It would probably satisfy me more than my friends, but in all likelihood it would be darn fun for all involved (with alcoholic lubricants, naturally). I have a knack for stonecarving that they haven't yet developed, so I would probably guide the tools, but the fact remains that it would be awesome if we all left a mark for future archaeologists to possibly study and analyze.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles