sun. 4-5 finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Cool Elephant [8D] I dug a trillion clorox bottles in my younger daze but I never saw a brown elephant.I saw a lot of pink ones [:D]

waskey

Reaction score
no way another newtons,i have a half pint newton's also but the neck has no design on mine,nice finds~henry

Road Dog

Reaction score
I have one that is clorox I believe. Dug it years ago with 8 regular Clorox. This one shares the same mold , but has no embossing. I have a smaller and a larger size.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I think the one I have has no OLD SOL on it. Here's some clap trap from someones ebay add, $19.99, no bids yet, closes April 10 I remember reading that it could have had two uses. Surely if it's a 30's bottle there has to be one with a paper label somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-OLD-SOL-AMBER-ELEPHANT-MEDICINE-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ290307614777QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item290307614777&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

where I think they are paraphrasing Ask Digger or something:
Experts suspect that your bottle dates from the first decade of this century and that it held Old Sol Bitters, a patent medicine concoction of mostly alcohol. But no one has found an Old Sol elephant bottle with a paper label that would prove it was a bitters bottle.
Adding to the mystery is the fact that the elephant design of your pressed-glass bottle was patented by Harry A. Allers of Baltimore--but not until June 19, 1934

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, thanks so much for looking and replying. osia, the frostie has catonsville bottling works, catonsville md. on it. i though it was an odd bottle when i dug it. henry, keep digging. thanks everone for information on the elephant bottle. steve, thanks for the link. there is a bid on it now. take care all, rhona

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Experts suspect that your bottle dates from the first decade of this century and that it held Old Sol Bitters, a patent medicine concoction of mostly alcohol. But no one has found an Old Sol elephant bottle with a paper label that would prove it was a bitters bottle.
Adding to the mystery is the fact that the elephant design of your pressed-glass bottle was patented by Harry A. Allers of Baltimore--but not until June 19, 1934
This quote was from one of the Koval's in 1998 I think. I read the article. They also stated Old Sol was a bitters and worth around $500. I remember it pretty well and will post the link in a bit.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Q I found an amber bottle shaped like an elephant when I was digging at an excavation site in Virginia. The elephant is sitting, and there are smooth panels for labels on the front and back. Around the top are the words "Old Sol." On the bottom is a letter B in a circle, the number 7 and the words "Design Patented." How old is the bottle?

A Your bottle, which is worth up to $500, is something of a mystery.

Adding to the mystery is the fact that the elephant design of your pressed-glass bottle was patented by Harry A. Allers of Baltimore--but not until June 19, 1934.
From Ralph and Terry Koval, LA Times, 1998
Here's the link
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/feb/07/home/hm-16364?s=g&n=n&m=Broad&rd=www.google.com&tnid=1&sessid=1de7e2772b5b4dd9a2702318ee374ce26eeee077&uuid=1de7e2772b5b4dd9a2702318ee374ce26eeee077&pgtp=article&eagi=&cat=home+%26+garden&pe_id=4732714&page_type=article&exci=1998_02_07_home_hm-16364&pg=1

Road Dog

Reaction score
There is also an exact mold with Oxol on the forehead of the elephant. Pretty sure these are all Bleech Bottles. The neck and openings are exact match to the period Bleech bottles as well. I don't think they would put Bitters and Bleech in a exact same bottle. Asking for trouble.

madman

Reaction score
hey rohna, sorry i missed this post, those are some killer finds, love the elephant, that milk is cool to as well as the acls! cool frostie acl! mike

kastoo

Reaction score
Woo Hoo Rhona! I knew you'd find a whopper soon..congrats on the old sol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter