Sunday's crawlspace finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
WOW What a time that must have been for you Doug. I don't know tins, but I'm guessing that Mallory one is a great one. What a great ketchup bottle, I've always dreamed of digging one, what a color. You have dug better stuff than anyone I know. You work for it though.
I havn't had a lot of digging time this month, been doing "work" work. But that means business is good, and I'm "earning my digging time" for later.
Congratulations on the fantastic finds!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Great finds Doug, I know newer oyster tins bring good bucks so no telling on them.....PS also love that catsup!

Lordbud

Reaction score
An entire collection of oyster tins, and they each have their own lettering designs.
Amazing stuff to find under a house. I think I could use some Hindoo Pain Conqueror
myself sometimes...

Stardust

Reaction score
really cool...
i loved all those rusty tins. wished i saw them all. thanks for the really neat post. [;)]

and that Ketchup was also the best ever!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone that posted.

Kevin,the insulator's both power and LRI were "salvaged"[;)] months ago before I could get them.

Matt,Thanks for the link,I seen that one too.My research shows them dating about 20 years earlier than the date given.

Lordbud,I was very excited with the variety.I here you on the Hindoo Pain Conqueror,that had to be some good stuff.

Warren,The history is really cool,I have been reading alot about them.

phil44

Reaction score
Great finds! Especially the Shrivers!! They come in two sizes. The pontiled ones are mid to late 1860's in my opinion, It seems likely yours is about the same age as the cans. Nice group!

E

Reaction score
Youz guyz are much smarter than I am: I would have had my bottle blinders on and left those tins rusting on the ground. Always hard for me to focus on anything that ain't glass when I'm trailin' the scent of old bottles.

That oyster ketchup is one of the prettiest things I have ever seen (I'll trade you some rusty tins for it).

My planned dig today (a wade through the God-awful Chickahominy Swamp) was ruined last night by a freak thunderstorm: first real rain we've had in two months so I can't complain too strongly to the bottle godz. I bet I woulda found an oyster ketchup today.... ratz.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Phil,

That one is the smaller sized Shriver's but I would love to own the larger size and pontilled examples.We have dug a couple other pontilled Shriver's close to that one but all were broke.One was a killer copper color and another in a puce.They were dug with almost all pontilled bottles which I would date to the late 50's so I always assumed that to be the date of the pontilled ones.Do you have alot of info on the company?I would love to learn more about them.I know most of them turn up out west rather than on the east coast which is kind of odd.The green one was dug from a dipped stoneliner so it really wasn't in any context.I actually threw it out of the hole rusted inside of old cast iron pot.Thank God it didn't bust.

E,

Normally I don't grab cans either but I had dug a partial tin like these in a wet 1850's privy a few years back and researched it.My buddy who was working upstairs,laughed at me for taking rusty cans.Don't pass up cone top beer cans either,they can be much more valuable than alot of bottles.Sorry to hear about your dig not working out.That bottle isn't going anywhere,just go scratch it out when you get the chance.Good luck digging

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS