Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

One thing about bottle digging, there ain't too many dull moments in the city.

This is so true......

Do you think many diggers were asking for permission to dig 30 years ago? Every old digger I have met says years ago everything was open for the picking. "Construction sites weren't fenced and there was so many more abandoned houses we would just walk down the allys and pick the easy ones to dig".

Chris

Chris, many things were different 30 years ago. In retrospect, we all had it made. Construction was performed differently, with piles left on site for days if not weeks. Most sites were fenced but usually only locked to protect valuable equipment left there. These days things are proceeding at a much faster pace with pilings driven BEFORE earth removal and existing soil compacted when sufficient to carry the projected loads. The sites are seriously fenced and patrolled, so digging is often not an option. Thankfully, residential demo is still the same as it was. Mow down the building, clear the lot and go to the next one. This leaves a wide open chance to maybe excavate a privy or two or three.

We have had one site open for over 4 years because the developer shot his wad too quickly and lost the construction loans. We have dug over 40 pits from that entire one city block. There are undoubtedly more, but finding them will take time. Most of the ground has 18" of heavily compacted gravel that was under the blacktop and lots of rubble from demolition of homes 60 years ago.

Any site that even LOOKS like it has potential cannot be left untested. The way I see it if we don't slam it someone else darned sure will. Fences be damned, man the probes and shovels!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Any site that even LOOKS like it has potential cannot be left untested. The way I see it if we don't slam it someone else darned sure will. Fences be damned, man the probes and shovels!

Mike, I totally agree with you on this one. Digging in the city comes with serious competition. There are several teams of diggers just in my city. Luckily for me most of them suck at using a probe. [:D]

Chris

baltbottles

Reaction score
Rick I agree and we dig probably about 70 percent permissions anymore. But those weekends when we have nothing lined up we just go find something. We try to get permissions but if we don't get one by noon we just find something to dig.

Chris

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

Mike, I totally agree with you on this one. Digging in the city comes with serious competition. There are several teams of diggers just in my city. Luckily for me most of them suck at using a probe. [:D]

Chris
Ain't that the truth. Same here, with a few qualified exceptions.[:D]

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

..on the right coast we use chain-link fence.. [:mad:]..
Chain link fence? What good is that? All we do is wait for the homeless and street derelicts to cut an access hole and it's diggin' time. If it's a temporary construction fence and it can't be easily picked up and moved I cut the chain and add my own. Works every time. Guards, if present, are easily bribed with food or alcohol.

The best way is to talk to the construction super or engineer. One developer just told me to bring a case of cold beer after hours and they would use the trackhoe to dig wherever we told 'em to. Excellent! PU loads of bottles came out of that one. I have become tight with one demolition contractor and he usually lets me know when they are doing a job in the zone.[8D]

you cracking me up Mike![:D][:D]

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

There's a REALLY promising abandoned house nearby, in Montclair. It's 1840's or earlier for certain, judging by the architecture and old maps of the town. It's sandwiched between two big newly constructed buildings. The problem is, it has a fence around it! The house is falling apart, and the plants are growing so high it looks like a jungle. The place has been abandoned for years. What do I do? Jump the fence? I have no idea who owns it, but there may be a way around if I'm lucky. I obviously need backup to dig it, but I have no idea where to start.

Darn! that be a great place to dig. Once inside no one would every now you're there![:D][:D]

I would have dug that place years ago....[8D]

tigue710

Reaction score
Wtf, why does every post have to turn into a political debate here? It's getting old... Go dig some freaking bottles...

That porter is like 7up green, I can't recall seeing any bottle besides specialty bottles in that color from before 1870 or so... Nice digs Chris, thanks for posting...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli