Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
A number of years ago a friend was arrested and cited for bottle digging at a site that is on railroad property, but adjacent to Fed land. He went before the BLM Magistrate in Reno and received a $450 fine. Being the diligent digger that he was, and knowing well and good that he was not on Fed property, he refused to pay the fine and requested a hearing at US District Court. That judge tossed the case out, which frosted the BLM Magistrate, but there was nothing that could be done about it. It was a contrived pony show by overzealous BLM employees who also received admonishment for their illegal arrest of the evil digger.

That being said, it is never a good idea to take the chance to dig on "public property", especially within eyesight of well traveled roads. I also hunt Native American artifacts and do so freely on BLM and USFC property, simply because the vast majority of western states land falls under their purview. Don't look obvious and don't telegraph your activity. If questioned you are looking for minerals.

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sem_yeto

I agree with Lex. Stay out of the parks and public national state and federal lands. The Man will try to accuse you of all kinds of stuff for diggin a hole in those places, everything from destroying an archeological site to hurtin some Indians' feelins ! This will give the rea bad publicity, when Feds or State catch someone on their (yeah I know... it's not ours anymore. Thanks the Dems for that...).
[/quote I happen to be 1 of those Indians[>:]-----so choose your words carefully White Man [;)]

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: brokenshovel

Here's some smalls and glue backs. It was a shame that most of the items were so damaged. These pits also suffered heavy dipping as many items were missing large pieces of the item
Pipes
P1090732.jpg

Half were marked with the same logo
P1090733.jpg

Couple of pontiled bottles, bulls eye marble, doll's candle stick, scent bottle with an "S" inside a 5 pointed leaf
P1090734.jpg

Glue back cups
P1090726.jpg

98% of a chamber pot
P1090731.jpg

Redware Bean pot, missing the bottom
P1090739.jpg

P1090740.jpg
Some nice looking stuff you got!----the pipes are awesome[:D].are those Dutch scenes on the bowls?---thanks for posting your dig[:D]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have never done any gluing of broken privy objects. Sorry, but it just doesn't interest me. If it's whole it's kept, otherwise they just get tossed back in with the rest of the fill. Same for pipe bowls, unless they are face pipes or of the stemless variety. If the stem is gone, the pipe is returned.

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mr.fred

ORIGINAL: sem_yeto

I agree with Lex. Stay out of the parks and public national state and federal lands. The Man will try to accuse you of all kinds of stuff for diggin a hole in those places, everything from destroying an archeological site to hurtin some Indians' feelins ! This will give the rea bad publicity, when Feds or State catch someone on their (yeah I know... it's not ours anymore. Thanks the Dems for that...).
[/quote     I happen to be 1 of  those Indians[>:]-----so choose your words carefully White Man [;)]

Yeah Pal Face![:D]

689E1E596ADC440AA42E306FCA83753E.jpg

Attachments

• 689E1E596ADC440AA42E306FCA83753E.jpg
    689E1E596ADC440AA42E306FCA83753E.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 67

tftfan

Reaction score
Nice Glass....

93064ED4E9D94C3F867F6CE237C78CE0.jpg

Attachments

• 93064ED4E9D94C3F867F6CE237C78CE0.jpg
    93064ED4E9D94C3F867F6CE237C78CE0.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 64

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

I have never done any gluing of broken privy objects. Sorry, but it just doesn't interest me. If it's whole it's kept, otherwise they just get tossed back in with the rest of the fill. Same for pipe bowls, unless they are face pipes or of the stemless variety. If the stem is gone, the pipe is returned.

I don't do to much of the "gluing back" but I like to see the finished pieces of others,its like a internet museum,something I dont do,but cool to look at [:D]

pjritter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

Alan,

It's not about being holy, but more about being legal. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. Sorry if expressing my opinion bothers you, but I feel I am entitled to it as we all are even if you have to be rude about it. Digging on private property with out permission can and does give by the book diggers a bad rap. There's a great old dump near here that the owner won't let anybody dig because of non-permisson digger's decades ago. As I have said before, if those who don't get permission can get away with it, so be it. Have an exceptional day.

PD

In the situation of this particular dump owner -

if he doesnt want anyone digging because of previous diggers then you werent trying hard enough !! thats an easy one.

As for digging without permission -

just put it back the way it was and nothing will come of it. not sure how that would give us a bad 'rap'.

deldig - that smiley face at the end of your post looks like you. [8|]

baltbottles

Reaction score
I like gluing broken pottery almost as much as digging. I have found it to be very rewarding...... The picture is from my Baltimore redware display at the Baltimore show this year it won both prizes, best of show, and peoples choice.... 90 percent of the pottery in the display is broken and glued back from dug shards. the other 10 percent is intact pieces I have dug.

Digging in the AM wish me luck......

Chris

2C1CD7DEE7324B32ADCD87B47DF716DC.jpg

Attachments

• 2C1CD7DEE7324B32ADCD87B47DF716DC.jpg
    2C1CD7DEE7324B32ADCD87B47DF716DC.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads