Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
Way to go...bummer about the broken ones. Hope you post those anyway.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Great story and cool pics, Chris. I also find it easy to convince curious neighbors to dig their yards. I have a question about the plastic G-cans. Isn't it a pain to manhandle those when full of dirt and frags? I can get plenty of used herbicide and pesticide barrels from our ranch, but have never made use of them. In fact, I have never seen that system used out West. I have used tarps extensively for many years, but that's it.

elmoleaf

Reaction score
The house looks unoccupied so you just start digging in their yard? No permission?
Do that here and you get arrested or end up looking down the wrong end of a gun barrel.

pjritter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: elmoleaf

The house looks unoccupied so you just start digging in their yard? No permission?
Do that here and you get arrested or end up looking down the wrong end of a gun barrel.

ya not where they dig. they just gotta worry about crack addicts who use spoons as shivs.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Here's some smalls and glue backs. It was a shame that most of the items were so damaged. These pits also suffered heavy dipping as many items were missing large pieces of the item
Pipes
P1090732.jpg

Half were marked with the same logo
P1090733.jpg

Couple of pontiled bottles, bulls eye marble, doll's candle stick, scent bottle with an "S" inside a 5 pointed leaf
P1090734.jpg

Glue back cups
P1090726.jpg

98% of a chamber pot
P1090731.jpg

Redware Bean pot, missing the bottom
P1090739.jpg

P1090740.jpg

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Personal criers

unlisted amber side strapped whiskey

GUSTAV JOHN
714 COLUMBIA AVE
BALTO
P1090730.jpg

GVI-7 CORN FOR THE WORLD (ear of corn) / (Monument) BALTIMORE; pontiled 1/2 pint
P1090727.jpg

P1090728.jpg

Hopefully Chris will hurry up and glue back that Balto porter.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Man, love the pipe bowls and glue back cups. Where's the Stewarts? Looks like great weather for privy digging and that corn for the world would have been a major crier for me!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Mike,

I really like the trash cans the help keep the yard very neat and make the fill in time really quick. Its dump a can and pack then dump a can and pack then repeat until finished. Also we dig a very high percentage of wet privies. with the cans all the water and black muck goes back in the pit very well and keeps the yard clean. We lay the tarps down under the cans. its also a great system for digging in parking lots.

Overall I like the small 30 gallon cans the best they are very easy to move. I wish we had more of them.

Chris

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here is that green porter glued back together. Its almost an Antifreeze green. I've never seen another 1840s iron pontiled beer in this color. Its pictured next to a lighter green example I dug across the street several years ago. I really wish this one had been whole. But even as a glue back its great as a example until when or if a whole one in this color ever turns up.

Chris

BFD3C618FEA64EBD9D832EFACD7EAB01.jpg

Attachments

• BFD3C618FEA64EBD9D832EFACD7EAB01.jpg
    BFD3C618FEA64EBD9D832EFACD7EAB01.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 62

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member