Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

I like gluing broken pottery almost as much as digging. I have found it to be very rewarding...... The picture is from my Baltimore redware display at the Baltimore show this year it won both prizes, best of show, and peoples choice.... 90 percent of the pottery in the display is broken and glued back from dug shards. the other 10 percent is intact pieces I have dug.

Digging in the AM wish me luck......

Chris

2C1CD7DEE7324B32ADCD87B47DF716DC.jpg

Spectacular!
what a beautiful and historic display.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've never had the time to glue back stuff, even though I've found some real criers of stoneware... I usually just toss the pieces aside, unless it's something truly spectacular.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
VERY NICE display. If I could find broken mocha or redware I would probably save it for sure. None of that out here, we are too "new" for that. About all we find are an occasional yellowware piece and piles of busted ironstone. None of that is "keeper" material.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'd hate to think what I tossed aside while digging just because it was broke.. I was only interested in whole specimens, but after seeing the above pic, I'm feeling thicker than the offspring of a village idiot and a TV weather girl.. [8|]

tigue710

Reaction score
Break a leg! Damn that is a fine display. Wish I could have seen that in person.

I'll I can say is your a hell of a credit to our hobby and I believe to early American history in general... Keep the posts coming

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

If I personally would enconter somebody digging on my property without permission, (I live on a 130 year old estate) I would let them chew on some cold steel for a bit. I love my pistols a bit less than I love my bottles.

PD

Maybe some diggers could help restore it to its grandeur.[;)] I'll put it my two cents, here. I have dug in Baltimore City and it is not like it is in Bradford. An abandoned crack house that is falling down, with a tiny backyard is not on the top of the polices' list. My first privy dig there, with Baltbottles, a policeman pulled up and was curious about what we found. Then, he left. It is a much bigger city, so there is a lot more for the police to be concerned about. One time, a neighbor bought us all a pizza and thought it was cool. Another time, when nothing abandoned could be found, a homeowner gave permission in exchange for a huge tree stump they couldn't remove themselves, and a little cleaning up of their small "yard". The people in the area are what you need to be concerned with when digging there. The police are fine as long as you are respectful and explain what you are doing. I don't know how else to explain the way it is there.

Obviously, you're not going to just start digging in a yard with a well kept house and people inhabiting it. These are very very old rowhomes that no one cares about. The city was selling them for $1 each to get rid of them and get something done with the properties awhile ago.

RedGinger

Reaction score
No offense to anyone intended. I guess it's my Sagitarrian nature to say whatever I'm thinking and sometimes, things look untoward when they are not meant to be. Anyway, good luck to the privy diggers. There's nothing like digging privies.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

I have never done any gluing of broken privy objects. Sorry, but it just doesn't interest me. If it's whole it's kept, otherwise they just get tossed back in with the rest of the fill. Same for pipe bowls, unless they are face pipes or of the stemless variety. If the stem is gone, the pipe is returned.

I don't do to much of the "gluing back" but I like to see the finished pieces of others,its like a internet museum,something I dont do,but cool to look at [:D]

I'm sort of a puzzle or building freak. I was one of those kids that took everything apart and put it back together. Now on the side I restore cars, make motorcycles etc so I love to put things back together.

99% of my glue backs are given away.
Do I like historical flasks? Yes, but would I spend the $$$ on a Corn for the World flask? No. So Now I have one somebody may find interesting and when I give it to them it helps me get calls or other bottles because they remember when I gave it to them.

Here's one of my mechanical "glue backs"

Funny part about this bike is it has changed hands three times since I sold it and now belongs to the President of the Baltimore Antique Bottle Club

E5160E9CBD284288A7B84A8D3434A52C.jpg

Attachments

• E5160E9CBD284288A7B84A8D3434A52C.jpg
    E5160E9CBD284288A7B84A8D3434A52C.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 60

sem_yeto

Reaction score
No offense meant to any Indians on the site here. My reference was meant to reflect the Fed Govt's all inclusive Antiquities Act law, enacted to protect Indian sites. Unfortunately this law was painted with such a big brush, that the BLM and Forest Service rangers interpret it to include sites where there are no (zero) traces of Indian graves, etc.... The law adversely impacts diggers trying to dig in old mining camps in the Cal Nevada high sierra, etc... The Feds hide behind the Indian law to further control any type of digging and run bottle diggers out of ghost town sites etc...

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
You are correctomundo, sem_yeto. The 1906 Antiquities Act did not have a broad enough spectrum of coverage so the know-it-alls at the BLM, USFC, and other Gov't Agencies decide to create something that covered all bases, so to speak. The Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 was created to do just that. The ARPA basically takes away anyone's right to explore old mining camps and walk the desert looking at anything. If you do so you are at risk of harassment by overzealous and undertrained wannabe police. Most are indoctrinated at their schools into believing that no "civilian" has the right to walk on land that they pay taxes for and that all persons doing so are suspect. I call them "Arrowhead Po-lice", because that is their main focus, not the criminals actually doing bad things. No sir, those guys might fight back and they can't have that now can they? "F" them, I do what we've always done anyway. It's called "trash removal", plain and simple.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator