Sunday's digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Thanks to Wilmington police a nice bath tub privy we were about the delve into was delayed as the sale of the house was not finalized. No matter, easy digging for Alan in a week or so. While most of the crew gave up for the day, Chris and I headed back to Baltimore to poke around.
Chris has been eying up two nice Fells Point houses but we were not able to secure permissions so off to the West side we went.
Chris pokes out a 1870s hole and we went to work. Turned into a medium size barrel with about a foot of trash. Most smashed to pieces.

2011-11-20_14-29-37_789.jpg

2011-11-20_14-30-14_821.jpg

2011-11-20_15-11-44_548.jpg

2011-11-22_05-23-12_578.jpg

Bulls Cough and Pectoral Compounds, Davis and Millers, Philly and NJ med. The figurine is a lady pulling up her skirt to use a chamber pot. Her head must have been connected separately as there is no break. Typical Balto stuff but I enjoy finding anything so no problems.

On a pit a few weeks ago Chris, Phil and I dug a couple of metal pieces that appeared to be coins. Obviously not silver or gold, most fell apart with a good squeeze but a half "coin" passed the squeeze test.
After cleaning the words LIBERTE and REPUBLIQUE appeared.
Turned out to be a French 2 sol coin. Funny as the coin was cut in half. Seems likely that someone was owed a sol.
2011-11-22_05-21-02_389.jpg

Here a good pic of a 1 sou coin. They were the same just a different denomination on the back. While not monetarily worth much I find the idea behind cutting coins quiet interesting.
france_1_sol_1793.jpg

Info from coin site
It was a bloody time, the French Revolution. King Louis XIV had garnered special privileges to himself and his nobility while plunging France into bankruptcy. His monarchy was abolished in 1792, and he and Marie Antoinette were decapitated in 1793. The inscription on your coin reads 'les hommes sont egaux devant la loi' which means 'everyone is equal under the law.' 'L'AN II' under the inscription means 'the year 2' or the second year of the first republic.

There are 1/2 sol, 1 sol and 2 sol denominations of this coin minted that year (1/2 S, 1 S, and 2 S in the wreath), and they are generally valuable coins if in decent condition.
2 sol (2 S)
Mint mark BB, R, I: catalog $250 average circulated
Mint mark N, W, cow: catalog $300
Mine: worth a conversation

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski