SUPER DIG IN GEORGIA PARK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
I just missed it!

Not long before I got into bottle collecting...there was to be a new park in ATLANTA in the Bankhead area.

Now on wiki it says the park opened in 1931...so maybe it was enlarged much later It also says it is planned to be enlarged![again?]Watch for this bottle diggers...

Any hoo...this park was on a huge dump circa pre civil war up to 1890s!A huge ditch that went round and round the hill was dug out with a backhoe or somen to allow bottle collectors to get at the bottles!!I heard people were shoulder to shoulder digging!The only catch was any pontil bottles were to be turned over to be given to the University of Georgia to be put on displayed at UGA .[yeah right!I was told how many were smuggled out.]

Unbelieveable bottles were found including hutch cokes!I saw bottles from this dig show up for a few years at flea markets,etc. and people would tell me of digging there and how many were not even bottle collectors!

Later on I did get in on digging there as bottle collectors started digging there again even though it was already a park!We even dug up the parking lot...why we were not busted or run off I don't know to this day...all I ever dug though was a dang aqua common Bixby ink/shoe polish/bottle...eveidently the 1st diggers got the most of the bottles ..yet some good ones were still being dug.

People dug very deep..I remember looking way down a hole at a guy as he was digging out a stone ware jug!

I did buy a INDIAN FIG SYRUP QUITMAN GA. bottle at a antique shop for 3 bucks that I sold to a MR.TOM HICKS that still had it in his collection last time I talked to him..it is a rare GA. bottle and his collection was on the cover a few years ago in the bottle mag.I saw the bottle on one of his shelves..it stood out cause I had painted the embossing...He paid me 100 bucks for it...not bad in the 70s!

Man wish I coulda been on the original dig.

Wondering if any on here has heard of this and maybe even got in on the digging? JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jamie,

Does this Ring Any Bells? How about Here?

800px-Maddox_ad.jpg

glass man

Reaction score
YEP.When I first heard of Maddox Park I thought it was new and they were namimng it sfter the one time racist GA. Gov. Lester Maddox...I thought it was really ironic since he was such a big well known racist and the park is in an all black neighborhood!

Lester owned a resteurant close to Atlanta and didn't want to serve blacks in his place...he was known to carry an axe handle to scare blacks away..even sold them at the resteraunt from a big barrel to make the point... as a Gov. he did much to help the poor...

Wish I was able to go back and dig there if they do any digging there again...of course it was a rough place back in 79 and 80 when we dug there.of course it may have been a deterrent that 50 or more were digging and had shovels and picks etc. People from there would sit and watch us...

Once I found out that a woman had been raped there just the night before I went to dig there...may be much worse now

Most of the bottles dug there were all mostly in a very stained shape...JAMIE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter