super dooper rare glass bottle?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

spipkin

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169109968?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!

epackage

Reaction score
I don't know what it was used for, but if it sold for more than $10 it would shock me...

I'd suggest calling the museum tomorrow and asking them what they might know... (607) 937-5371

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Red Matthews worked for Thatcher Glass lets wait for his input.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
A neat sample bottle, they definitely made a number of them to show to potential customers. The asking price is out of the question, he should start it at $9.99 and be happy if he gets a bid.

The Can Kid

Reaction score
It looks like an item in the same vein as these, a sample to show important people their new idea. All the cans in that picture were produced to show to the breweries and soda companies that might want to use their cans. Probably the same type of thing.

They're usually not rare, though I'm not sure why they made as many as they did. A good-sized collection of sample cans or bottles could be put together for a low price. HOWEVER, others, like the can in the 2nd picture, are very rare and valuable. There are only 3 of those known and they sell for upwards of $1500.

Calling the museum would be a good idea. Maybe you can even call Thatcher Co.?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
It looks like an item in the same vein as these, a sample to show important people their new idea. All the cans in that picture were produced to show to the breweries and soda companies that might want to use their cans. Probably the same type of thing.

They're usually not rare, though I'm not sure why they made as many as they did. A good-sized collection of sample cans or bottles could be put together for a low price. HOWEVER, others, like the can in the 2nd picture, are very rare and valuable. There are only 3 of those known and they sell for upwards of $1500.

Calling the museum would be a good idea. Maybe you can even call Thatcher Co.?

Well guys, I was involved making the mold for that bottle and I think I have one or two of them somewhere. I hope I do, because I am desperate enough to sell them if they brought in that kind of money. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again. I am shocked to see that bottle show up on eBay. We made them for the men stippling the molds, this way they would know what the specified stipple should look like on the mold job they were stippling. They were also intended to be of value for the salesmen selling the glass products and having something that would show the customer what to expect.

We also had special chisels made and identified for each design creation. These chisels were to stamp the reverse image of what you would see on the glass. The mold maker would make a sulphur cast of his work to compare it to this sample requirement.

Interesting to see your history of work show up in our collecting world. I have a lot of things that I will be trying to get written up and photographed for the homepage. For example we made a mold for the Segram's Ancient Age Liquor bottle that was filled with cave man wall images and stippling in between them. There was no machining in the cavity and no images or stippling done by man. It was electro-formed into the mold cavity halves without any cavity work needed. The first mold we made this way was for a ketchup bottle. I can only say that my life in glass has been a great experience. RED Matthews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday