surprise in bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, this bottle is 2 1/4" tall, 5/8" across bottom and 1/2" across top. because it was so small i put some water in it and set it to the side while i cleaned larger ones. i dump out the dirty water and put in clean water a couple of times. i look into the bottle and saw something shiney. i cleaned it gently a couple of times, and finally figured out there where a pair of post ear rings inside on a piece of paper. i have not tried to take them out. the paper is very frigile. does any one know if earrings where ever sold this way? any ideals on how to preserve it? thanks rhona

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
try for pic. again

Jh16309.jpg

Attachments

• Jh16309.jpg
    Jh16309.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 97

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Trying....

It is surprising what you'll find in bottles sometimes...I was in a "Mom and Pop" corner grocery store one time a long time ago and I got to talking to the owner (the Mom) about old bottles and she brought out this strawberry soda bottle from the factory with a couple of cigarette butts and a mashed up cigarette package inside, sealed and ready to sell...I tried to talk her out of it but she wouldn't sell!

Keep on findin' things inside...

The Doc...[X(]

58froggy

Reaction score
It doesn't look to me like you can cave the paper. I would like to know what the bottle is. I have a few of these.
Thanks,
Doug

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi doug, this bottle has no markings on it. i found a couble of others in the same place put no ear rings. maybe they sold them in this little bottles to keep them from getting lost. sorry i don't have any maker information on the bottle. rhona

whiskeyman

Reaction score
RHONA...unusual find...bottle looks like those used for Carter's Little Liver Pills...

I found this folded up inside a Ball Perfect Mason a few years ago...the jar had the zinc lid and rubber on it, so item was very well preserved...

Ec89447.jpg

yep...Gene Autry on a Sunbeam bread end label...

Attachments

• Ec89447.jpg
    Ec89447.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 98

sheila

Reaction score
At least your surprises were good! Last week while going through some more bottles and jars at my mom's I found a mason jar with a "powdered" mouse in the bottom! It took a while to figure out what it was, looked like dirt with feet and a tail! It must have fallen in the jar and couldn't get out, darn I wish I would have taken a pic but it really grossed me out![:'(] We tossed jar and all!

58froggy

Reaction score
That was a kool find. The mouse? Probly not. I have finally moved all my bottles from mom's attic. We dug them some 35 years ago. My best friend and I would hit all the best dumping places along the roads - it's pretty rural in Coshocton, Ohio where I grew up. So all my best bottle finds are again a suprise. I moved 19 boxes the size of fruit crates to my home. Have had time to go through about half of them. Running out of space to display them. I'll have to get some picks put up.

You people are a real inspiration and make me want to go back at it. I have taken my daughter on some walks along a good spot. Didn't take too long for her to get the fever. She found some nice bottles.
Doug

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Hi, rhona - I've never heard of earrings being sold that way. If it were me, I'd love to get hold of some old (antique?) post earrings. Since the bottle itself doesn't look to be especially rare or valuable, what I'd probably do is wrap the bottle in thick layers of newspaper, hit it with a hammer, and get the earrings out. [:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward