Swirled Red Amethyst Pontiled Decanter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I've seen this bottle on Ebay in 3 or 4 different colors, I believe it's being produced on Mexico or China, nice looking piece but I agree with Jim...

Asterx

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head Jim, thanks a bunch :) Had to give it a go though, it was fairly convincing and marketed to the wrong category. He added bottles/insulators in the last moment. Thanks again, time for a refund.

Asterx

Reaction score
Thanks Jim 1 and Jim 2, now off to take a ride in my Thingamajigger...

But really, I do see this type of pontil occasionally... I'm curious what it is about it that appears off.

botlguy

Reaction score
All I can really tell you is that I've looked at lots and lots of old pontil scars and that doesn't look like the old timers did it. The lack of honest base wear and the two piece mold stopper are more "Red Flag" to me. Is the stopper blown or cast? Hollow or solid? The stopper and inside mouth of the bottle are not ground meaning to me that the were never meant to contain a liquid.

I think it's 20th century art glass but won't say that definitely. I could be wrong, I have been two or three times in my life. [8D][8|][8|]

Asterx

Reaction score
Nice job noticing the lack of ground throat, but are you saying that bottles with stoppers but no ground throat/stopper means they either didn't hold liquid or are fantasy bottles? Seems I've seen a few that were authentic but without the ground bits.

I don't question your opinion that this isn't authentic. From the moment I saw it I questioned this. Something about the luster, the pontil and the stopper perked my doubts. And that partially burst bubble looked suspicious. And I did think "MEXICO" when I saw it [:D]. Although, there were equally enough characteristics that made me dive.

Do you think its art glass or a piece made to deceive collectors? It does echo a lot of early american pieces. That red-amethyst and something about the pattern are very close to some authentic glassware, bowls, plates etc.

botlguy

Reaction score
Just think about it. Why put a stopper / cork / cap on a bottle? To keep the contents in! No seal, no containment. If that stopper was meant to contain fluid it would have to be ground or have another sealing surface, rubber or cork or? This one wasn't made for sealing as far as I can see.

Also, bottles can be made exactly the same way today as they were 100, 150, 200, 500, 1000 years ago. Man knows well how to do it. I do not think this was made as a fake or to fool anyone, it's a pretty piece for folks who don't care about age, just eye appeal. If someone will buy it someone will make it. Build it and they will come.

As I've said before, I certainly am NOT the last word on this stuff. I have been avidly involved in collecting glass for over 45 years and have studied such things, yet I learn from these young whippersnappers as well as the old farts every day.

And that's all I have to say about that. [;)][:)]

epackage

Reaction score
Another color that it's being made in...

2CFBB91D199F48A98B6530D52BCEC1FD.jpg

Attachments

• 2CFBB91D199F48A98B6530D52BCEC1FD.jpg
    2CFBB91D199F48A98B6530D52BCEC1FD.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 75

Asterx

Reaction score
Nice find on the picture Jim, its an exact match

Asterx

Reaction score
I've seen them in an icy blue too...

Wowwww, now I will REALLY have to save my pennies [:D]

Glad there was no hassle in the return, so far I have been lucky in my ebay purchases and sales. No real issues to speak of. Thanks again everyone

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology