SYRUP OF BLACK DRAUGHT??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an ABM, light green, 5", screw top bottle (see photo). It Has, "SYRUP OF BLACK DRAUGHT" [:-]enbossed on both sides and what looks like an 'a' in an 'O' and the number 8 on the bottom. Has any one out there ever heard of this stuff? What was it used for? ETC? [8|]

Wu61338.jpg

JohnRoy

Reaction score
I found a few "Black Draught" (probably later than yours, though) out in the barn, presumably from the General Store. I think that the label said it was cough syrup. I've got bottles that are not embossed with the original label and box. I think that I have about 5-10 of these. I've also found something called Blackwell's Cough Syrup. I need to get some pictures for you.
-John

diggermeister

Reaction score
That name would never make it on todays Madison Ave. Do you know by your label what was in it? I would love to see some photos of your bottles with the labels and box [8|]. btw, Thanks for the info...

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Looked up "Black Draught" on Google, lots of info on a Black draught laxative. Don,t know if that is the bottle though. Just some info.

Cliff

JohnRoy

Reaction score
Good Lord! I sort of thought that it was either Cough Syrup, or a Laxative! Good thing that I am not a Doctor! I guess I was remembering the Blackwell Cough Syrup. I'l post a picture this weekend, when I get out to my Mother-in-law's again. I do not mind sending one to you if you want for free, if you'll reimburse me for mail. It even has the medicine still in it. -John

diggermeister

Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Seem's as though it is a laxitive [&:]. It is still in use today and can be found in the herbel remedies arena.
Hey John, as for your above offer; I will not pass (maybe I need some black draught [X(]). Let me know the details.
Thanks to all for your responses.

JohnRoy

Reaction score
Send me an email with your adress, and I'll mail it to you. The bottle has 35 cents on it, so I guess it is faily old... -John

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
I beleive the a inside of a circle is for Armstrong Cork (& Glass) Co.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter