Tabasco Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ryan

Reaction score
Sorry to flood the board with questions! This will be my last question for awhile, I think maybe these bottles are a little more interesting than my other posts...

I have two Tabasco bottles. The newer one is clear, the seam goes over the top, it's 4 3/4" tall, and the bottom reads McIlhenny/6 Tabasco Sauce.

The older one is amethyst, 8 panelled, just a tad over 4 1/2" tall, and the seam does not go over the top. On the bottom it reads New Iberia Tabasco Extract.

I'm curious about the New Iberia bottle, is it a McIlhenny, or an early Trappey's tabasco?

Thanks a million!

-Ryan

Qo38735.jpg

Ryan

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bottom of the Tabasco bottles...

Thanks again,

-Ryan

Om32426.jpg

Attachments

• Om32426.jpg
    Om32426.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 149

walkingstick

Reaction score
McIlhenny, who still makes the famous Tabasco Sauce, is located in New Iberia, Louisiana. It could be a reference to where the sauce was made. I believe if the bottle says Tabasco, then it is a trademark of McIlhenny and only they can use that name.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Ta·bas·co; A trademark used for a very spicy sauce made from a strong-flavored red pepper.
ta·bas·co pepper; n. A very pungent pepper (Capsicum frutescens) grown principally in the Gulf Coast states for commercial production of hot sauces.
That's from the American Heritage dictionary

History

You may have read from the link above since your familiar with Trappey's. If not it appears they started in 1898 and the McIlhenny won the trademark in 1906.

That's for anyone else intersted as well. My guess is that is a Trappeys!!! NICE

walkingstick

Reaction score
It seems that there was a battle over that name Tabasco from 1898 until 1906. After the Civil War ended all that remained on the McIlhenny land that was worthwhile was the capsicum frutescens growing on Avery Island (about 6 miles south of New Iberia). Mr McIlhenny started making his patented sauce and called it "Tabasco" sauce in 1870. in 1898 a former employee of McIlhenny, Mr. Trappey, left the company and made his own sauce, also calling it Tabasco. He also had his business on Avery Island. Mr. McIlhenny got pretty steamed about this Trappey fellow stealing his product's name and took the matter to court where he finally won the trademark "Tabasco" in 1906.

Anyhow, I got a little more history for you to add to your bottle Ryan.

walkingstick

Reaction score
Wait, perhaps the colors are not correctly seen on my computer.... now I am confuzzled. The first one looks aqua and the second one looks clear. perhaps you are correct,.... Trappey's wins!!! Since it was such a short time period in which Trappey's used the Tabasco name, that makes it a very nice find.

walkingstick

Reaction score
Hey cowseatmaize,

I guess I am bit familiar with the history of Tabasco. History was one of my favorite subjects in school back in the day when we were still writing on clay tablets, so I never minded, in fact I enjoyed, doing historical research. I also lived down on the Gulf Coast from 1995 until a day or so before Katrina hit and worked with some of those fine Cajun folks from the New Iberia area. I got out, but left most of my stuff behind. Thankfully, my bottle collection got packed a few days before and survived intact (so my kids and grandkids tell me).

You wouldn't by any chance live in one of those New England states where I could score some lobster (Maine Crawfish)? I am wondering if they would make a decent substitute for what we call crawfish in a Cajun delicacy called "crawfish" ettoufe. (Mmmmm Mmmmm good) So good you wanna smack yo' Mama fo' not givin' you nun when you was a kid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday