"Texize" What the heck?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gnatstomper

Reaction score
Texize made things like liquid starch, bleach, household cleaners and the like. The company actually stuck around for a while until it was bought out by Dow Chemical in 1986.

billbritt

Reaction score
I am frustrated with the forum--I just typed a very long history of the "texize" Chemical Company which used the bottle shown by Glopf43 it appears that the whole thing was lost into cyber space because MY permissions are not correct. I will provide info on texize if anyone is interested at a later time.

I am a former employee of Texize

Billbritt2@aol.com

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Bill, I've done the same thing. It was my pop-up stopper. I shut all that kind of stuff off when I on the forum now. I'm sure those who have Texize bottles would appresiate any info you can give them.

Welcome to the forum.

billbritt

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on th pop up blocker--iwill provide info "texize" when i have more time. anyone with specific questions please contact me.

billbritt@aol.com

idotdog

Reaction score
Hey Glopf43,
The bottle you have pictured is a 32oz, quart, bleach bottle. The Chlorine bleach was bottled by the Texize Chemical Company in Mauldin, SC which is located near Greenville, SC. I am a retiree from that company after 32 years. They are no longer in business. They were bought out by the Dow Chemical and the name changed to Dowbrands when they move up north. Don't know if those bottles have any value or not but if they do I have a few myself. If the bottle has the initials LGW on the bottom, it was made by the Laurens Glass Works in Laurens, SC and would date back to the late 50's or 60's. Good luck on you bottle hunting.
Doug Wilson
Mauldin, SC
(idotdog@charter.net)

idotdog

Reaction score
Glopf43,
Also, this is a continuation of my previous post. The name Texize Came from the product that started the company, Textile Sizing used by the textile mills. And the company went on to make cleaners for the mills and as the story goes, the mill employees started carrying the cleaner home with them and the company came up with a Home version that was not as strong and put it in the stores for the public and also started making bleach, starch, dish detergent, window cleaner, pine cleaner and other products. If you have any more questions, I will try to answer them.
Doug Wilson
Mauldin SC
(idotdog@charter.net)

#1twin

Reaction score
This is a picture of a Textile mill statue created from a leaky pipe in the plant. I got it from my uncle in Clinton, S C. Most of my mother's family worked in the mill. Don't know if they made the Texize product or not?
The only bottles I have ever found like that were clear. Thanks for telling me where they came from and what they were used for.
Marvin

A62C6DB9C47042EB81F61AE49FF856CE.jpg

Attachments

• A62C6DB9C47042EB81F61AE49FF856CE.jpg
    A62C6DB9C47042EB81F61AE49FF856CE.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 110

madman

Reaction score
i think that texize bottle is cool, but as for [purex and clorox from that era ill smash em all! man they used alot of bleach.............. and kech-up lol----------mike

glass man

Reaction score
TEXIZE 1940S -BOUGHT OUT BY DOW CHEM. 1986 . ALSO HAD FANTASTICK AND JANITOR IN A DRUM. I WAS BORN IN THE 50S AND MOM USED TEXIZE IN THE 60S. JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2