Thanks for The Bug Guys.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearfan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Well after my apothecary feasco I did learn one thing. I like digging! LOL My mother in Law has a 200 year old house up in Maine. I was up there yesterday and she was telling me how in the old days they used an area in the woods as a dump site. There was no trash collection back then I guess. Anyways I went looking. The ground had just become loose from the Big freeze of winter. It was cold, wet, and muddy. Then only about 6 inches down I found this bottle. Not worth much but I thought it was a pretty cool find for my first dig. They were Farmers back then. My wifes great grand father had a black smith shop there. Littered around the area were some old ford tractor parts, metal milk containers, and some old rotten shoes. This was all just on the surface. So I guess my question would be, How far do I keep digging in a 200 year old spot? I spent a few hours yesterday using a screwdriver to probe the place. I did not dig very far down. I found several old broken bottles. I also found a phillips blue bottle. Could this spot hold some potential or am I wasting my time here? Enjoy the pic of my first find. And again, Thanks for the Bug! LOL
fellows.JPG

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi John, let me know next time you're coming back up this way. It would be great to help you explore your site. You might want to give it just a little more time for the frost to get out if it already hasn't, there's always the risk of breakage trying to pry them loose from the frozen soil[:mad:] That bottle is an indication you're on to a promising site.

bearfan

Reaction score
Norm I actually thought of you while digging. I was wondering if you would be interested in helping me explore the site. I will let you know when I am going to be up there again and don't have to do "Family Stuff" I actually thought of everyone in the forum, wishing I had some help!!! LOL I porbably looked like an idiot on my knees poking the ground several times with a screwdriver!! hehe but it was fun. JOHN

deepwoods

Reaction score
John - Sounds like you could use a good probe of which there are making instructions at this site; also someone mentioned having good results with an old ski pole as a make- shift substitute. Check any gully spots, creek beds,and ravines- early dumpers tended to gravitate to those type of areas and check well any spots that have even a little bit of glass shards, old rusty metal etc on the surface- a sizeable dump after 100+ yrs can be almost completely concealed by falling leaves etc.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
John (Bear) Where is it in Maine you were digging? If you could give me the EXACT location of the site I will go check it out and make sure no one else gets all the good stuff before you, he he[8D] Seriously, let's try to get it set up. I have some probes and can also get my hands on a metal detector. Also, as the homestead is that old, we might want to attempt to find the privys! I can see a great day of digging in your future, I think there's a least 5 others within an hour or so of our general location who are forum regulars.[sm=tongue.gif]

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Bearfan I had to stand on my head to read that, but it is too much to have to type anyway. Only that is was manufatured in Canada & USA. If you are in Maine there was a partnership between James I Fellows and Perry Davis & son. Taunton MA. the syrup was introduced in Ca. 1872
Aqua 7 3/4" X 3 1/2" X 2 1/4"

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn