the fake label guy strikes again

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Hi Matt, the way this reads "Case's Drug Store" in Logan was open in 1878...

http://www.trocadero.com/stores/surecureantiques/items/623840/item623840.html

Not sure where thier info really came from. Those bottles look late to me.
I read the 1912 date here...
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/docs/nr/logan1.pdf

in any case the label isnt as old as the bottle.
Thanks Matt and Bill, I have had very little experience with paper labels since I collect one select town and I always like to learn different bottle related stuff here....Jim

epackage

Reaction score
It was definetly before 1912 though because there are ads for Case's Drug Store in a newspaper from 1908....

I asked the seller and he said that druggists would use any and all bottles they could find back in the day to sell their products and that the label might not be right for time period. I believe that this was definetly applied at a much later date thanks to you both...

bostaurus

Reaction score
Wish I knew who those folks were that are betting on it..I would send them an email. One of them is fairly new to the 'vet bottle bidding wars ' and has been paying some pretty high prices for some pretty common bottles. Someone will end up paying a nice price on this bottle and probably never know it has been faked.
I have a couple that I know , and bought knowing, are 'married' bottles....bottle and label of similiar age but did not start out life together. I liked the look of them, they display nice, and they were cheap. I would never pass them on as 'proper'.

glass man

Reaction score
Good for you Melinda,but knowing you it comes as no surprise.

I have always hated the feeling of getting a bottle that I am so glad to have gotten only later find out it is not what I thought it was...like buying a bottle and later find out some part of it has been repaired...JAMIE

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
druggists would use any and all bottles they could find back in the day to sell their products

This certainly did happen. I have a few examples of this my self. But... they are normally bottles fairly contemporary with the labels. I find it very unlikely a druggist would sell his product in a 50-60 year old bottle. He would have to at least have a couple dozen of them to even make it a worthwhile effort. Just doesnt make sense when you think about it.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
And yet kungfufighter sold an awesome Montpelier VT labeled medicine, with the label from maybe 1880s and stuck on one of the prettiest USA Hosp. Dept bottles I've ever seen, and it came with great provenance from an old VT building.

Pharmacists, particularly those in the rural areas, frequently re-used bottles. I think they probably knocked a penny or two off the script if the person brought in their own bottle.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

druggists would use any and all bottles they could find back in the day to sell their products

This certainly did happen. I have a few examples of this my self. But... they are normally bottles fairly contemporary with the labels. I find it very unlikely a druggist would sell his product in a 50-60 year old bottle. He would have to at least have a couple dozen of them to even make it a worthwhile effort. Just doesnt make sense when you think about it.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
you figure USA Hosp bottles were commonly used into the 1870s so a reuse in the 1880s isnt that far fetched.
Not saying a 60 year reuse is impossible , it just seems very unlikely.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I agree, and the fact that the dealer consistently puts up such stuff lends me to believe it is not the real deal, it is a new marriage in my opinion. Is it possibly correct? yes, but I would never purchase anything like it..

bostaurus

Reaction score
I emailed Dr. Smith (petvet) about this. He said that there have been Peerless labels
sold on Ebay in the past.
Would be few questions raised if they had put the label on a bottle contemporary with the label....though it would still be a 'fake'.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I always consider a marriage questionable if there have been loose labels sold around.

But I've seen at least one marriage that had quite a bit of age range on it and still was ok. It was/is an Ingrahams nervine, the pontiled one (Vergennes VT) with a post 1900 label on it, one with the alcohol percentage etc. The bottle and label clearly go together but must be about 50 years apart. However, I've not seen the labels loose, and have little doubt but that it's a good marriage.

If you collect VT medicines, you have to put up with a certain amount of label uncertainty. Otherwise, particularly with the pontiled ones, you are limited to about a dozen or so embossed bottles as your collection spectrum.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: bostaurus

I emailed Dr. Smith (petvet) about this. He said that there have been Peerless labels
sold on Ebay in the past.
Would be few questions raised if they had put the label on a bottle contemporary with the label....though it would still be a 'fake'.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2