The truth about Priority Mail

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
I thought I would share this little tid-bit of news re: Priority mail when, this week, a package I sent got routed to Tampa FL, when it was supposed to go west 2 states. I'm going to rethink my shipping from now on. It's a article from '09, but I'm feeling it still applicable.

The truth about Priority Mail: Ten times the price of First Class, but no faster

It was a simple thing to do. The New York Daily News sent 10 batches of mail to points all around the country. To each destination, one piece went as First Class mail, which costs from 42¢, and another piece went as Priority Mail, which costs from $4.95. Despite the U.S. Postal Service's aggressive efforts to upsell Americans into buying Priority Mail postage, the deliveries arrived on the same day 80% of the time.

I think we all expected the Postal Service's more expensive mail options to perhaps be a slick bit of puffery, but I don't think we expected them to be pretty much worthless. More to the point, I think most people assumed that Priority Mail was faster, a misconception that the Postal Service is in no hurry to openly and clearly correct.
The Post Office, facing a bigger cash crunch than most national services, has been pretty heavy with the sales pitches for its premium mailing services. But what they don't tell you at the counter, when they try to get you to spring for Priority Mail or Delivery Confirmation or any number of other fries-with-that options, is what the fine print actually says. You think you're getting quicker and more secure service, but that's an illusion. Not that the Post Office will mention that.

Priority Mail, the Daily News says a postal rep told it, "promises but doesn't guarantee two- to three-day delivery." What it does get you over First Class mail is the ability to buy insurance. So, in essence, you have to buy the premium product to get another premium option, and even then, there's no guarantee your item wouldn't have gotten there faster than the cheap way.

"They're similar," admits the Postal rep. "Delivery is going to be the same, especially when you're talking about shorter distances." Now he tells us.

The News also discovered that in most of its tests, Express Mail, the pinnacle of Postal Service methods, beat both Priority and First Class in only one instance. (That was for a mailing from New York to North Carolina.)

One of the cheapest ways is Media Mail, but as I recently reported, in its effort to force customers to buy more expensive postage, the Post Office has been opening people's packages behind closed doors to verify what's inside them.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I dont use priority mail because I expect it to be faster, I use it because I get a free box and its often only 10 cents more.

I mail stuff fedex and UPS all the time for work. They charge a fortune and on average arent any faster.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
The PO has long reserved the right to open Media Mail packages, as it is restricted to only printed matter such as but not limited to books, magazines, newspapers.....
Unless it is a Guaranteed Service (example is Next Day Air by UPS), you are buying fluff in my book.
I will ship 1st Class, or Parcel Post for uninsured items, and if insurance is warranted, go the shot. I find DC to be very handy, it has allowed us to notify family members that the package WAS delivered, and then stolen. The remains were found in the bushes.
Yes, the PO is hurting big time for money, but their fate is tied to politics, attempting to close a PO branch is seen as a national disaster, with the Senators and Congressmen running to the scene of the crime to bash the PO and vowing to move heaven and earth to keep this vital PO open.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm just glad to get out of the PO without catching scabies from the freaks in line with me.. and that I don't pass my own freaky scabies on to anyone around me.. while time itself comes screeching to a halt, and only a few certain things are available for one's amusement.. like that row of empty desks, built to facilitate interactions between PO employees and their clients.. lying in cob-webby abandon. At least it gives me a place to balance my check book while my stuff to be sent keeps my place in line for me, which ain't movin nohow anyways..
Thank Jesus for those cel phones a'ringin in the row.. now this zombie-ish twonk standing next to you in paralytic silence has to tell their cleaning lady where the vacuum cleaner bags are, and gets confused when an issue with the vacuum's drive belt comes up, and only THEN finds it necessary to mention the utter inconvenience and actual unlawfulness of operating a cel phone inside the confines of that federal facility..
But when that PO glacier finally sets you free again, it's like having a new lease on life.. like you can accelerate yourself beyond the norm.. and crank the tunes.. just watch out for the cameras at the traffic lights.. [8D]

epackage

Reaction score
I use Priority 99% of the time because I charge for it in my E-Bay auctions and it is usually only a few pennies more for stuff staying on the East Coast. When I use it going West I find it usually gets there at least a few days ahead of when I used to allow buyers the option of First Class or Parcel Post. So I'm gonna call SHENNANIGANS !!!! on the original article cited......Jim[;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NYCFlasks

The PO has long reserved the right to open Media Mail packages, as it is restricted to only printed matter such as but not limited to books, magazines, newspapers.....
I agree 100% with you, the sender needs to read the rules because so many people try to send stuff Media Mail that isn't to get around higher shipping costs....[;)]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
SHENNANIGANS

that was the word i was looking for , where has my vocabulary gone[;)]

I have one post orifice in the city 3 miles away that always has a line out the door, takes 30 minutes to mail a box, they actually have a deaf guy working at one of the counters. Then there is a post office 10 miles west in the countryside that employs a couple nice old ladies and there is never a line. Guess which one I use. Guess which one congress will cause to get shut down. [:(]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Just like Social Security, the Feds steal the money. The Postal Service profits are another Federal cookie jar.

PD

towhead

Reaction score
If you have a FedEx account, large packages are cheaper to ship with them. -Julie

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator