The truth about Priority Mail

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
From the sounds of this article it looks to me that they were mailing letters they type that only require a stamp and drop in a mail box. I have noticed that sending a normal letter first class only takes about 2 to 4 days to get pretty much anywhere in the country. Which would be just about as fast as if you sent it priority mail.

When it comes to packages on the other hand priority mail is faster then first class and like Matt said is usually not much more expensive. Plus you have the option of insurance for expensive items.

I would say the reasoning behind this is that packages and letters are sorted differently with packages probably needing to be hand sorted where as letters can be sorted by machine.

Chris

Longhunter

Reaction score
I like Fed Ex best for shipping anything and I suppose I am going to start thinking about shipping EVERYTHING through them except maybe the darn bills.
It is a bummer when you use a service that makes certain claims but when there is trouble the USPS is quick to point out the "fine print". I was actually surprised to be able to enter a tracking number on their website and see the progress of my "long awaited" package.
Stephen probably posted this thread because of a dilema I am facing in receiving my part of a trade we just made.
I sent my box to him by Priority Mail and he received the package in 2 days as advertised.
He sent me a package by Priority Mail a week ago and the USPS is playing "parcel volleyball" with my bottles.
From Georgia to Mississippi (you know..... 2 states to the WEST) the package left Stephen's town and went SOUTH to Jacksonville, FL and then promptly on to Tampa, FL where it has been sitting for 4 days! The tracking says it left the Tampa facility YESTERDAY but where the heck did it go?

Well, I suppose according to the USPS the shortest distance between Georgia and Mississippi IS NOT A STRAIGHT LINE.

NO wonder the USPS is in trouble and rumors abound that they are going out of business. They don't even know how simple US geography works!!!!

I will say this............. This is my first problem with USPS. I have had more than one problem with UPS....... hence I will only as a last resort use UPS. Anything I receive via UPS usually arrives STOMPED, KICKED, CRUSHED and horribly MIS-SHAPEN unless it is sent to me by NEXT DAY AIR which is EXPENSIVE.

Looks like I will either have to use Fed Ex from now on OR HAND DELIVER anything I send.

HAARRRRRUUUUMPHHHHHH.......... end of USPS rant.
(I think I feel a little better now?????)

[:mad:]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I agree, UPS is out of the question. They take no care whatsoever of the packages. Once I ordered a CD, and when it got here, I noticed a significant dent in the box. They mistreated it enough that the case had cracked, and the CD itself had become scratched severely! So of course, I sent it back. The next one they sent was also dented, and this time the case was cracked too, but the CD was intact. I had enough and just kept it. Still frustrating how little they care about package security though.

towhead

Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm sure everyone saw how UPS delivers packages on TV...just toss it over the fence!

And, with FedEx, even if you're only shipping a $20. bottle, you can insure it for $100. for free! -Julie

P.S. And, when you have an account, it's cheaper too.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator