The wonderful bottles of Jamaica Dry

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
RCO thanks for the info!....so that is 4 known for Ontario. Here is the bottle from Campbellford, I see it is the same style as my Saskatoon and it sold for $32.00...did not know those versions can bring that price.

1950's- Campbellford Ontario, bottled by Horseman & Son.

well those are just the ones I saw listed in the book , I haven't seen a Hinds/Orillia Jamaica dry bottle before so cannot confirm or deny its existence at this point . mostly only seen Hinds bottles that were for hinds products the pop they bottled themselves , although there is paper label pepsi's from 40's that had Hinds on it , so maybe some of the brand name pop they were bottling might have local writing on it .
might try and poke around some antique stores and see it I can find any Jamaica dry bottles and see whats on them

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
You're right, Bedford's is non-alcoholic, but it did come to market. In fact, you can still buy it today: http://bedfordssodas.com/products.html

And yeah I'm very curious about what they bottled as well, my guess would be that they bottled smaller franchise products, though I've never seen their name on anything else. I'm assuming that all their bottles used paper labels.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well something happened business decision wise because BRP Enterprise abandoned the trademark in Canada, Be interesting to know what the association was with BRP....seeing that they applied for the trade mark on behalf of West Coast Bottlers right? I note also in the Bio that they started in 1983....but there is no mention of a Canadian outlet or even a connection, other than the trade mark data. The one person that would know the details would be Ed!
No doubt to me that Steve Reader was president of West Coast Bottlers...and one thing this company did was as listed in his profile '- Negotiated major packaging contracts for the company'. Yes I say your right about them bottling smaller franchise products...I doubt they had any in house brands.
Another question is if Steve had any dealings with BRP?...seeing that he did not join WCB till nine years after BRP started up and six years after the trade mark application.

As far as them only using paper labels...that's a tough one to know for sure because the only bottle I've ever seen from them is the one I have, I would think they would package to the customers needs...ie: bottle type and sizes.

Oh yea...now I want to try a Beford's Crème Beer!!!...lol:)

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever find a quart size ACL Jamaica Dry! But alas it has happened!
This example is from N. S. Marsh Ltd. , Fort Frances, Ontario. It's a 28 oz bottle dated 1965... I determined this year because the older 50's 10oz bottles have T.M. REG'd underneath 'Dry'
Sorry for the dark photo, I was trying to capture it with poor lighting and ended up adjusting it to this artistic version!...lol
Jamaica Dry 28oz-1965.png

RCO

Reaction score
there is a listing for N S Marsh ltd Fort Frances in my book but doesn't say what products he bottled , haven't seen many Jamaican dry bottles from northern Ontario ,

doesn't seem to be many from Ontario as I never come across them but province is so big , could be other bottlers who at one time sold this and we just haven't seen a bottle yet

Canadacan

Reaction score
there is a listing for N S Marsh ltd Fort Frances in my book but doesn't say what products he bottled , haven't seen many Jamaican dry bottles from northern Ontario ,

doesn't seem to be many from Ontario as I never come across them but province is so big , could be other bottlers who at one time sold this and we just haven't seen a bottle yet
I was surprised where it was from given the small population, but around the late 50's the population started to boom and peaked at 9947 in 1971, so it was a bustling little town at the time this bottle was produced. There should be some 10oz bottles out there too.

RCO

Reaction score
I was surprised where it was from given the small population, but around the late 50's the population started to boom and peaked at 9947 in 1971, so it was a bustling little town at the time this bottle was produced. There should be some 10oz bottles out there too.

there was also a 7 up bottle from Fort Frances so perhaps it was a busier place back in the day , agree there should be a 10 oz bottle if there is a larger sized Jamaica dry bottle

Canadacan

Reaction score
I really enjoy all your specialized bottle collections and the time it takes to do these posts with all the photos and information.
Thank you!.... Some times I do very little research and just like sharing my bottles, but sometimes I do some digging and get any info possible.
I do enjoy photographing my bottles...as you have seen, sometimes in a more artistic way! : )

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR